PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Should I prune my pepper?

HI,

I have a Serrano pepper plant that overwintered outdoors. It is going on its 2nd year. The plant has some flowers and a few peppers forming right now. The plant is close to 3 foot high. Thing is, the plant has lots of leaves on top and middle and the whole bottom is bare. Last year the plant got sick but rebounded but the bottom never grew back.

But anyway, if I prune it will it give it some vigor? How should I prune it? I was going to wait to get a few peppers before doing anything but maybe I should prune it instead.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Any sprouting along the stem, branches? That would be a good sign to prune- otherwise I wonder if they get much sunlight?
When pruning I look for the 1st set of growth- usually above the woody (brownish)stem/branches, and prune just above that growth sprout growth.
T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It gets enough sunlight but don't know why it has not grown any thing new.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Might be too cold? I pruned my anaheim and de arbol last month that has been overwintering. Slow for sure.

T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I will wait til the end of this month and take any peppers growing that I can. Then I will prune it back.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

BTW this is growing in a pot. Do you repot or resupply the soil? I have been adding compost on top, even mixed some rock dust in it a few months back.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Oh, Its in a pot? Sorry, I can't help you there, I've never grown chiles in a pot before.
I only grow succulents, flowers and herbs in pots.

T

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”