jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am longing for spring.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_goodies_2010.jpg[/img]

Just saw this picture and it made me want spring something awful.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'm a nice guy so I won't say what the temps are here. 8)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:I'm a nice guy so I won't say what the temps are here. 8)
Neither will I, but suffice it to say I've found it necessary to turn on my A/C the past 3 days to take out some of the humidity in the air.

We've only had 1 night of 32 degree temperatures so far this winter. It is unusual to not have some real cold weather for our area several times a winter. I just hope this isn't a prelude to a hotter, more miserable summer.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

....like last year. But for a La Nina type pattern we've been in for a little over a year now, just be ready for hot dry weather and a lot of smoke and fog at night.......the kind of smog that instantly gives me a headache.

The trade off is that La Nina tends to turn hurricanes out to sea, like last year.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's been more fall like than spring here most of the winter. I can't wait either James. I have been planning my garden since last summer, trading seeds all winter growing tomatoes in the basement, keeping up with several froums. It's all I can do to keep my sanity.

I can't wait, soon it will be seed starting time than the craziness begins all over.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Don't worry, Jal.

Spring time will be here before you know it! For know, put fresh batteries, in your camera, clean the lens, etc. because spring wouldn't be spring around here without you're scenic pictures :wink:.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the weather's not being very wintery here - high near 60 today, high 50's for the coming week...so I'm not waiting. got a pile of potted perennials outside anyway now, might as well pot them up a size now as later.

kinda worried at this point that the warmish weather will continue for a while, the fruit trees will flower, woodland trees will break bud...and then we'll get three days of of killing cold and the area's apple crop will be shot again (last year got a massive hailstorm during flowering).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are having very weird weather - winter one day, spring the next. Yesterday we had a huge ice storm and today it is 50 degrees.

But longing for spring is part of why I start seeds indoors - gives me plants to tend this time of year. :) Go plant something! :D

ruggr10
Green Thumb

It was negative 2 degrees F last night. Snow everywhere. I too miss spring!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

!potatoes! wrote: kinda worried at this point that the warmish weather will continue for a while, the fruit trees will flower, woodland trees will break bud...and then we'll get three days of of killing cold and the area's apple crop will be shot again (last year got a massive hailstorm during flowering).
That could be a problem I noticed a few weeks ago some trees putting buds on, some of them were almost near flower stage. That worried me very much. :(

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I can't wait too. I started a few seeds a few days ago. Rest I will start mid FEB. Those are some nice size carrots Jal-Ut.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Go plant something!
OK, I filled a pot with potting soil, and when it finally absorbs some water, I am going to plant some beans I want to check the germination rate on.

We got a storm last night, it rained mostly, but turned cold at the end and put down 2 inches of very wet snow, then turned colder. This month of January has been a wet one. December was dry. On average I'd have to say we are having a warm winter, for this area.

tc_31_fillAmenist

I'm looking forward to Spring too. Not really for the temperatures but for the longer days. It gets dark so early.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

thanks to this topic, I started three things from seeds today:

bilberry
red currant
boysenberry

Never down any of these before and may be early... I don't care. Let's see what happens.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Alright now you guy's just stop now.

You are going to have me stoarting seeds way too early and they will be too big to keep inside.

OH wait yeah that's right. My first tomato starts were in Sep. Guess you can't get much earlier than that. This ain't Texas or Florida. This is normally cold MO. 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/alpenglo_garden.jpg[/img]

Here is my garden at sunset this evening with some alpenglo on the mountain.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/ss_jan_22_2010.jpg[/img]

The Western horizon this evening.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Move here ! Then you can garden all the time and I can have some of your homemade bread !

Intriguedbybonsai

jal_ut wrote:[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_goodies_2010.jpg[/img]
Nature's jewels... Do you have a greenhouse by any chance?

Tonio
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Alright now you guy's just stop now.

This is normally cold MO. 8)
8) :D We's all itchin' for spring :wink:

But, how can anyone beat JAL's UT landscape??

Was suposed to go whale watching today.. but with 4-8 waves, no thanks for me I get sea sick quickly.

T

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hey gixx - you don't have to plant tomatoes! There's other stuff to grow in the world. Now is a good time to start broccoli and cabbage indoors and slow growing stuff like lavender and rosemary.... There's always something you could be planting!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I hear ya, JAL-UT. I am starting seeds, just a few peppers. I don't know whether I will be able to keep them alive in the house, but I am anxious for spring. Roughly 10 weeks to go before the soil starts to warm up over here!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do you have a greenhouse by any chance?
No Green House. I am content to buy the few pepper and tomato plants I need.

Down there in the valley is where I garden.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/home_sweet_snow.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”