Intriguedbybonsai

No more eggplant for me

Well I know this is an embarrassing subject to ask on this forum, but it's happened twice so far to me and my girlfriend.

Is eggplant known to give people :oops: ... Um... It's the thing that happens when you eat a lot of beans, cabbage, hard-boiled eggs, etc. I'm not trying to be gross here, but it's lead to a couple of days of the upset stomach.

I've never really tried it before. So I thought I'd buy one at the market to see what it's like. The way I prepared it was by frying it in a pan until tender. It was almost like a chewy squash. Does this occurance happen to anyone else?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Many people know that healthy vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, and onions can cause gas and bloating, but did you know that eggplant, celery, pears, apples, bananas and citrus fruits can be culprits as well?"

https://www.thedietchannel.com/Gas-And-Bloating-Dietary-Causes.htm

You could try Beano...

applestar
Mod

Huh. didn't know eggplant could be a culprit. Thanks Rainbowgardener :D
Some more thoughts here--

-- Fried food in general is harder to digest.
-- one of the time honored eggplant prep methods is to salt and leach out the "juice" prior to cooking. (Some people really squeeze out the juice as well. Rinse off the salt to prevent too much salt). Maybe there is a *reason* for doing this not just flavor?
-- Japanese summer pickled eggplant should be easier to digest. I tend to prefer them in tomato-ey pasta dishes too. I wonder if there's any help to digestion there...?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Good thoughts, Rainbow' & Applestar.

Seems like there is a forum around here on micro-organisms . . . must be those naturally-occurring, in the environment. Or, ones we want to encourage for a productive garden. Seems like we've got most everything else, maybe we need an intestinal environment forum :D .

I've had gardens on other people's property for a good number of years. At one place, I've told the the tenant (owner lives elsewhere) that he should feel comfortable coming out and finding things for his dinner. He says, no I can't eat those things, I'll just be running to the toilet all the time :o .

Bloating, gas, diarrhea . . . and here the nutritionists aren't even happy with their old 5-a Day scheme. Talk about backlash to 8 or 10, daily!!

I've been trying to "up the tally" on the # of healthful fruits and veggies in my diet. I try to think of it the way Cynthia does: More! Much of it shows up on my plate at breakfast. I have 3 pieces of fruit! Man, there's not much more room for my Cap'n Crunch in the bowl!!

I really started to eat lots of these sorts of foods because I gardened. Every year, I try to grow eggplant and am sometimes frustrated by their need for very warm temperatures and by the bugs! Potato beetles luv eggplant :roll: . Anyway, I think of slices of eggplant in much the same way as I think of slices of bread. The "egg" is what I can use as a wash just before they go in a hot skillet! They may end up as casserole ingredients - and, I make lots of casseroles thru the winter season. Eggplant is just kind of where I start when it is cool enuf outdoors to think of starting up the oven. Next, peppers!!

Maybe, cooking the eggplant a little more. Or . . . just leaving that one aside and going straight on to the peppers! Eggplant isn't that easy to grow, after all. There's lots of fruits and veggies to choose from. Gardening does allow us to pick them at just the right moment for the kitchen but we have to decide what to do with them once they are havested :).

Steve

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I love eggplant but I cannot grow it. My wife's throat closes up so she won't risk it in the kitchen. Because of that, we are also weary of having our 2 year old try it. Too bad, I love the taste and there are so many unique ones to try growing.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My girlfriend has the bloating problem most of the time from many things. I keep telling her that meat does not help since it takes so long to digest! I have very little trouble with any gas or bloating from most anything but I don't eats meat except for maybe a little turkey or chicken to be nice to those who prepared it.. I drink Acidophlus milk most of the time and it seems to help my digestion! Some things you eat help digestion and I would look up what they are! If you don't wake up as you get older and watch you will have plenty of gas problems!

Intriguedbybonsai

Bobberman wrote:Some things you eat help digestion and I would look up what they are! If you don't wake up as you get older and watch you will have plenty of gas problems!
I already know of one, and it's celery. I goes right through me, literally.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If you have a dehydrator and season some eggplant it comes out like a nice tasty cracker afterwards. Or I have cut 2 pieces kinda thin, dried them, then used them like bread. Just add some avocado, sprouts, tomato, peppers, or whatever, the use the dried eggplant to sandwich it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Intriguedbybonsai, maybe you will be like me and give up on eggplant? I tried and tried to grow some, and finally did, then I didn't like it anyway. It is not an easy plant to grow here, not long enough season. I am quite sure I will be just fine if I never eat another eggplant.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”