Page 1 of 1

Lettuce ID

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 am
by tovfla
This started randomly growing in an 18-gallon container after I pulled up an heirloom tomato plant that was dying. It looks like an edible lettuce, maybe swiss chard? I don't want to eat it though unless its definitely edible...

[img]https://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss313/tovaphotography/lettuce.jpg[/img]

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 am
by DoubleDogFarm
How about Red Sorrel? or a type of Sorrel

https://piperterrett.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/red-sorrel.jpg

Eric

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 am
by Bobberman
I think that is a weed that looks a little like swiss chard!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 am
by Bobberman
Did a little research and here is what I think is the answer!

Broad leaf Dock or Rumex Obtusifolius
+++

https://www.pestweb.co.nz/photos/Rumex_obtusifolius_266.jpg

Its really tuff to tell for sure but this one is bitter!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 am
by tovfla
wow, thanks for the quick research! looked up Sorrel and Broadleaf Dock on wikipedia and this is a bit scary:

Sorrel:
"The plant's sharp taste is due to oxalic acid, which is a poison. In small quantities sorrel is harmless; in large quantities it can be fatal."

Broadleaf Dock:
"Broadleaf dock is considered a weed and is slightly poisonous"

...so much for eating it!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:28 am
by Bobberman
don't eat a mushroom if you are not sure and a weed can be just as dangerous! Some of the lettuce mixes I am careful about since some strange things come up!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:37 am
by cynthia_h
tovfla wrote:wow, thanks for the quick research! looked up Sorrel and Broadleaf Dock on wikipedia and this is a bit scary:

Sorrel:
"The plant's sharp taste is due to oxalic acid, which is a poison. In small quantities sorrel is harmless; in large quantities it can be fatal."

Broadleaf Dock:
"Broadleaf dock is considered a weed and is slightly poisonous"

...so much for eating it!
Take a look at French sorrel. I have a [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150121]large plant[/url]of it and, once or twice during the winter, harvest 4 cups (leaves and stems, smashed down in the container) for one batch of Sorrel Soup. Great stuff! :D

Rhubarb also contains oxalic acid; that's why we eat only the stalks, and not the leaves, of the rhubarb plant. :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm
by rainbowgardener
Yeah, don't make yourself paranoid... Stuff like that is quite dangerous IN LARGE DOSES, but you are very unlikely to eat large doses. I think you would take a couple bites and go OMG it is definitely not swiss chard! :) You would be unharmed by the bite or two.

But agree, it is definitely not swiss chard and not worth using up garden space on.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:37 pm
by soil
tovfla the spinach you buy at the store has oxalic acid in it.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:56 pm
by tovfla
lol ok good to know :) thanks for the info!