tovfla wrote:wow, thanks for the quick research! looked up Sorrel and Broadleaf Dock on wikipedia and this is a bit scary:
"The plant's sharp taste is due to oxalic acid, which is a poison. In small quantities sorrel is harmless; in large quantities it can be fatal."
"Broadleaf dock is considered a weed and is slightly poisonous"
...so much for eating it!
Take a look at French sorrel. I have a [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150121]large plant[/url]of it and, once or twice during the winter, harvest 4 cups (leaves and stems, smashed down in the container) for one batch of Sorrel Soup. Great stuff!
Rhubarb also contains oxalic acid; that's why we eat only the stalks, and not the leaves, of the rhubarb plant.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9