jnunez918

Any Texas gardeners out there?

Post up if your from Texas. Our weather is so unique to veggie gardening. I'd love to be able to bounce ideas with you guys. Also the timing of when you plant. :D

bg
Cool Member

Nope, dunno anyone from that place... :wink:
Can't wait for the cold drops to go away, so I can remove the plastic from my garden. 20's, 40's, 50's get annoying at night then heating up in the day.

Richard L.

Hello from the San Antonio area...(Rio Medina) what up? are you doing anything in your garden now?

jnunez918

bunches of lettuce are still alive, I have some red cabbage hanging on and my onions and garlic look great.
My plans for spring include cucumbers galore, beans, peppers all all types, I planted some tomatillo seeds, regular, purple and pineapple, just have to see if they grow. My herbs all survived except the basil which I have growing in the dining room. Today was 75 degrees and I was pretty productive after work. Moved my fall strawberries to a "strawberry" pot. And planted this awesome yellow and hot pink chard I found on clearance. Now I have a whiskey barrel with red, white, pink and yellow chard. Now I just have to figure out if I want to eat it. :lol:
What are you planning???

Richard L.

Real crazy weather this Winter, one day we have a low of 27 and a few days later a high of 76. The only thing I have planted are 8 cabbage and this year they are on the small side, probable because of the weather going up & down. Lots of things planed for this Spring, I plant about the third week in March.

bg
Cool Member

I'm still getting peppers off of my habanero plants, the lettuce I planted is growing well, as is the cilantro, carrots, garlic, thyme and green onions. I have 3 tomato plants growing tall, strawberry plants growing taller since it stopped spreading with runners during the winter.

I have some peanuts that should be getting ready to harvest? just one plant, so not much there lol. I think a sunflower just popped up from where I planted last year. I have to keep pulling out the maypops that just won't stop spreading haha

I am still waiting on my jalapeno, cayenne and ghost peppers to ripen. I have some 2 foot or so tall rosemary, and the basil I cut nearly to the ground is growing back nicely. I would love to plant more stuff this spring..... but I'm already out of space! Unfortunately I did lose my cucumber plants when it got cold last year, just a day before I set up the plastic over my garden.

Thankfully the heat lamp keeps it about 60 - 70 during the day, and in the 50's at night when it gets cold. I can't wait until these cold drops go away, and I can remove the plastic.

plainsman50

Here in this high dry, windy, and sometimes cold part of Texas, I've been taking advantage of the mild weather to work up a few garden beds for spring planting and doing some watering, since we have had no precipitation since Christmas.

I've watered the fall planted garlic, onions, and spinach and they are doing great. I may begin harvesting spinach in a week or two. I watered the asparagus and perennial alliums yesterday. I will wait until Monday to water the bed with grapes, iris, perennial herbs and hollyhocks, since the forecast for tomorrow is winds of 45 gusting to 65 with near zero visibility in blowing dust.

It's great to hear what other Texas vegetable gardeners are doing.

Thanks for starting this thread and good luck to everyone this gardening year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”