jnunez918

when to pick broccoli?

[url=https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/broccoli114.jpg/][img]https://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5602/broccoli114.th.jpg[/img][/url]

First time growing broccoli. It's pretty big and now there are a couple yellow flowers under the head. Does the mean its going to seed? I keep hearing about that but not quite sure what it is.
Anyhoo, should I pick this guy?

jnunez918

ok done broccoli picked

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When to pick broccoli? The size of the head is not really important. The size of the little flower buds in the head is important. When they reach a certain size they will open up into yellow flowers. I like to pick the head when the buds are about the size of the head of a match or slightly smaller. If you are seeing yellow in the head, you have almost waited too long. Some varieties send out a lot of secondary heads, others not so much, but watch for them.
Ummmm, fresh broccoli, lucky you!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I don't care for the new way people are cooking broccoli-hard and bright green.
Gimme it simmered to an olive color and drowning in butter and some sea salt !

Avonnow
Green Thumb

You been having alot of heat in Texas?? I know here in Florida it has been unseasonably warm - we have had some cold days and mild, but this weekend is going to start 5 days of near 80, it has been like this most of Dec and now Jan. - I live in Central Florida by the Space Center . My broccoli is all starting to mature way to fast, faster then usual and I think its the heat, my heads didn't even get that big and I had to start cutting them. They are providing small offshoots while my next batch is still growing, but I am afraid if the heat continues they will all peter out. :cry:

jnunez918

Avonnow wrote:You been having alot of heat in Texas??:
Well right now its 75degrees in January.....

BarcelonaTerrace

Hi All

Thought I'd add this on here. Check out this broccoli plant below, its been planted in october and hasnt done much since. However, the last couple of weeks it has grown to what you see.

Its in a spot which gets no sun at all...should I move the plant to a sunnier area or will the broccoli be fine continuing down its shady path?

Also, will cutting this floret now (when its smallish) encourage more growth after?

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sZnQhb6gvPk/TyWGqJzOEEI/AAAAAAAABDY/M6yfNbR3q4A/s1600/P1010077.JPG[/img]

Thanks! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Move it to a sunnier area and don't cut it. Broccoli plants only make one main head. Once that is cut, then it will produce side shoots, but the side shoots never get big. I see them in the grocery store sold as "baby broccoli."

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”