nickolas

Does anyone here practice moon planting?

I think the subject of Moon Planting is very interesting and I plan on giving it a go, I have already got a moon planting chart and I am trying to find a few books on the subject.

Is there anyone here that allready does some if not all of there planting by the phases of the moon?
And does anyone know of a good book on this subject?

This website has a bit of info on planting by the moon.
https://www.users.on.net/~arachne/MoonPlanting.html

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think there have been some discussions every now and then about "Biodynamic" practices. That's one of the schools of gardening that plants by the phases of the Moon.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

soil
Greener Thumb

I just planted some seeds a few days ago with the full moon. ive done side by side tests and the moon planted plants usually always win.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its a myth!

soil
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Its a myth!
nonsense....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

8)

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

It sounds funny but I do try to plant with the moon cycle. I don't no if it helps or not but I am sure it doesn't hurt. I try to hedge my bets...lol

LLandry11

Hi Nickolas,

I still consider myself a rookie, as last year was my first garden.
Your post peeked my interest, so I figured I'd look into it to see what I could find.
I found this link: https://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/
I downloaded the software for the free 30 day trial. It's pretty detailed, and it uses the lunar phases along with astrological signs.
You can input all of your specific information, like frost dates, what you're planning on planting, etc. It gives you detailed monthly calendars of best times to plant, not to plant, weed, cultivate, etc.
I figure I have nothing to lose by trying to follow their suggestions.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Its like dieting - if it works for you - its a winner!!! :D One persons myth is another persons miracle plan. This little topic has my interest peaked - so when is the next full moon? Maybe I will get great plants and lose 10 lbs all at the same time. :D

rkunsaw

I've always heard plants that bear above ground should be planted during the light of the moon and plants that bear below ground should be planted during the dark of the moon.I've never practiced this or really paid much attention to it.I believe it is just a myth.

bellabonbon

Does moon planting of seeds have a dramatic impact on the growth of plants? I work nights, so this isn't the best option for me, but I'm interested in knowing the results of moon planting. So post your results if you don't mind.

rkunsaw

bellabonbon wrote:Does moon planting of seeds have a dramatic impact on the growth of plants? I work nights, so this isn't the best option for me, but I'm interested in knowing the results of moon planting. So post your results if you don't mind.
Working nights doesn't matter.Moon planting refers to the phase that the moon is in not planting at night under the moon.I don't know where the idea started but it's silly.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The science involve with planting by the moon has to do with plants do most of their growing in the dark. Old timers plant by the moon and claim it works but they don't know why. All my relatives plant by the moon, I may have tried it once or twice, I plant by the weather. When the weather gets right and there is no more frost and the soil is dry enough to till, I PLANT.

The science involved with planting by the moon has to do with planting at the correct time so the plants will mature in the dark of the moon this will produce the largest crop. Corn for example is a 65 day crop, the moon goes around the earth every 28 days. So we will have a full moon at day 28, day 56, day 84. If you plant corn in the light of the moon it will mature in the dark of the moon.

The old timers claim you plant seed crops by the light of the moon and root crops by the dark of the moon. Do some research and find out what the grow cycle is for all the things your going to plant in your garden.

OK, how much larger will a crop be if planted by the moon? Will your corn crop be 2% larger, 5% larger or what. How can you tell for sure. If you plant 2 crops of corn side by side 2 weeks apart so one is planted by the dark of the moon and one is planted by the light of the moon it is very likely the early crop will get more rain and the later crop will get more hot weather. How do you prove anything when you can not control the weather. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't.

I have experemented with North/South rows compaired to East/west rows. I am convinced north/south is best because things like beans that grow in rows where plants are very close together and they shade each other. East/west rows never get full sun on the north side of the plants. Its no different than a house it never gets any sun on the north side. Trees always grow moss only on the north side. For 3 years in a row I grew 2 rows of beans in N/S rows and 2 rows of beans in E/W rows the N/S rows produced the most beans every time growing only a few feet from each other. I don't think row direction makes any difference on plants like tomatos, squash, peppers where the plants are spaced far enough apart they do not shade each other.

Give it a test try plant some things by the moon and row direction then give us a report when you harvest the crops.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”