Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Brussel Sprouts Harvest

Went to check on my garlic this evening and got a real big surprise These little plants all summer long looked terrible I almost pulled them a few times. I had even forgotten about them. What a surprise I got when I got to the garden.

[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/brusselssprouts.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice! Welcome to the forum.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and James's favorite too. :P

With a few frost they should be sweet.

Eric

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

yummy great deal I love brussel sprouts !!!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Mmmmmm.... Simmered and buttered and sea salted !

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I've never been able to get my brussel sprouts to have sprouts. This year will be my last year to try them. If they don't grow I'm done with them. I will just have to keep buying them which means they will never taste as good as if I grew them myself!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is no secret that I don't like Brussels Sprouts, I would rather have a good head of cabbage. That aside, maybe I can help you with your growing of them.

Brussels sprouts is a cabbage. Many varieties are really long season plants. Up to 180 days. They are also a cool weather plant. They will do well in an area that has a cool climate. Those requirements may be hard to satisfy for many of us.

First, shop for a fast maturing variety. Next, plant as early in the spring as you can get on your ground. It will be necessary to protect them from bugs. As with all the cole crops, the bugs love them. You could start them indoors or a greenhouse about a month before planting out time.

Fertilize well.

You can direct seed Brussels sprouts and all the cole crops, but as I said earlier, protect them from bugs. How you do that is up to you, but without insect control, you are not likely to succeed with any of the cole crops. Cabbage worms, click beetles and aphids are my worst pests here.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:Went to check on my garlic this evening and got a real big surprise These little plants all summer long looked terrible I almost pulled them a few times. I had even forgotten about them. What a surprise I got when I got to the garden.

[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/brusselssprouts.jpg[/img]

Funny you should post that today. I pulled 4 of my 8 Brussels Sprout plants today to harvest them. I got quite a few of them with the larger ones getting steamed over the next week or so with dinner. The smaller ones from the top of the stalk will be pickled in a bread & butter brine. I did this last year and they are a big hit and quite a surprise prepared like that.

dsyukon

What a tasty looking treat !

Congrats

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Great harvest and welcome to the forum!

[url=https://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/brusselssprouts.cfm]Here[/url] is an informative article on Brussels sprouts that you might find to be informative. .

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks for picture, :D I chose to plant brussel sprouts this year and they are all starting to produce little heads, this makes me feel good actually seeing them in a picture. They are slowwwwwwww! I am not a patient women, but have tended but ignored them for the most part - can't wait now, I love brussel spouts. Let us know how they taste. Welcome from Florida to the forum, you will love it. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”