Halfway
Green Thumb

Veggie Starts as gifts to neighbors

This year I will increase my "gift giving" of strong starts to neighbors and co-workers. Once my germination and starter items are in place, the additional or "excess" are nearly free in producing. Since it also gives me a nice cushion in case of a disaster, I always have extras on hand.

I will add nearly triple this year as my calculations show only a tiny increase in cost. Being able to pass along some future goodness easily overrides the little cost it does incur.

Tomatoes, bean, and peppers were a big hit. This is especially true for determinant and dwarf tomatoes as they allow those without garden plants a chance to add or create their own container garden setup. It has been fun to watch several folks either expand their gardens or start gardens with a little "nudge" with some strong starts.

:D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I got started on that, because if you are starting things from seed, you almost automatically end up with lots extra (especially if you hate killing little seedlings when you thin! :) ). I do mine as a fund raiser for my church - sell off seedlings in 4" pots for $1 each. I donate the $200 or so I raise that way to the church. But $1 is cheap for big strong healthy seedlings, so people get a lot of good starts cheap. I usually still have some left over that don't get sold and those I give away to friends and colleagues.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

$1 for a good well cared for seedling !? I'd buy in a heartbeat !

Halfway
Green Thumb

It is TOO easy, fun, and feels pretty darned good!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hey, that's a really good idea.

I usually give produce to the neighbors, but this is a neat idea since they would be able to get a continuous supply of produce...it's the give that keeps on giving :D!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”