kristina24
Newly Registered

When to Plant Vegetables for August Harvest/Bloom in NZ?

Hi, I lost my father 4 months ago I would like to fix his vege garden up and make a little corner garden to remember him by he was cremated so have the unveiling of the garden since no head stone, his birthday is august so I would like to do it on his birthday which is a week before his death, so when do I need to start planting things and will they be blooming or anything in august, so far the only flower we decided on is rosemary it has meaning, when do I plant the veges , he had silver beet, beans, carrots, brussel sprouts, beet root, potatoes, any help is awesome thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are in New Zealand, which is going to make hard for all us Northern types to help you out very much. August would be like late winter, early spring for you? What are the temps like at that point? I don't even know if your climate has strong seasons or if you are more like the equatorial places where the temperature doesn't vary so much year round.

If you give more info, I'm sure someone will try to help. We have had a few other Aussies and New Zealanders around, if they happen to see this. Otherwise you should try asking questions more locally. Find a good local nursery with knowledgeable people. Or look on line more specifically. I put New Zealand gardening in Google and came up with lots of resources including this:

https://www.gardengrow.co.nz/

which is a calendar of what veggies to plant when, for three different NZ climate types -- cool mountain, subtropical, temperate. (No wonder I wasn't sure what your climate was like -- apparently NZ covers a big range of climates). Just pick your climate type in Step 1 and it will tell you what should be planted which month. Not sure that entirely answers your question about how to plant to have things ready in August, but it's a starting point.

I suggest you edit your thread title to include New Zealand. It will help catch the eye of any of the folks in your area, and will alert the rest of us. Sometimes people don't notice the fine print where it says where you are located. If people don't pay attention to that, you will get a lot of bad advice.

In the meantime, very sorry for your loss. I know that has to be hard. I think the memorial garden is a lovely idea.

PS for what it's worth, most of the things you mentioned (beets, potatoes, carrots) are root crops which are usually (in my climate) planted in very early spring, as soon as the ground can be worked. They get off to a better start in cool weather, but then grow through the summer and are mostly harvested late summer/early fall. But carrots especially can be harvested much earlier as little baby carrots. And the potatoes if they aren't ready to harvest will be very ornamental plants (once they are ready to harvest, the plant part dies back and doesn't look like much any more). So your garden will be lovely, whatever stage it is in and whether or not the veggies are actually ready to harvest. Carrot tops are very frilly and pretty too....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”