gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Will this warm weather hurt the garlic?

As most of us know the weather is crazy right now. It was 65 yesterday supposed to be warmer today this is the end of the first week in Jan.

What do you think this will do to the garlic we ha e planted? Mine has sprouted a long time ago and still up and green. Just wondering if this might mess up the growing pattern.

Dono

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking you're getting a fantastic head-start.
Maybe mulch to protect once the 20's/teens (and lower) winter temps come around. I suspect they'll be fine with temps above low 20's.

TWC015

I also think they will be fine.

My garlic always begins growing shortly after planting in the fall. They send a few leaves out and sit through December and January until February. I don't mulch the garlic and they live through low temperatures in the teens to around 10F without damage.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I know this is weird. We have been in the upper 40s this week. Usually for January its zero or below.

To your question: I think the garlic will be fine.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I Never Thought about this I'm in the 70s So will this be ok for My garlic?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm guessing the garlic may benefit. On the warm days, the garlic is getting roots even deeper below the frost line I figure.

We have only had one week with a few days in the thirties. This whole weekend and into the start of the week we are in the mid sixties. Some are worried, I'm hoping for an early start on the garden!! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We have only had one week with a few days in the thirties. This whole weekend and into the start of the week we are in the mid sixties. Some are worried, I'm hoping for an early start on the garden!!
Jeff, Stick with the average frost dates or Phenology. Don't jump the gun. :wink:

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

there's no way I'll stick to the "average frost date". thats may 1st here...and I've never seen a frost in april here and I've lived in Va for a long time. I go by the phenology or when Andrew Frieden ( my AWESOME weather guy) gives me temps above what I'm looking for every night for 2 consecutive weeks. :wink:

Jaydenz

I started 3 garlics in a pot last fall and the tops are maybe 2 inches tall. Should I leave them inside till spring or plant them now and mulch them?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I would put it out side now. It needs time in the cold for it to think it has gone through a winter. Garlic likes the cold and needs the cold to divide into more cloves. If you never let it have its winter it might not divide up into a bulb with several cloves and so it would stay one clove but a big one.lol

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Gix, I think your garlic will be fine. Do you have it mulched? By mulching it, you help to regulate the temperature swings it will experience. One thing to remember is that the temperature we usually refer to is air temperature, which is different from soil temperature.

I think what would be bad is if the temps got warm and stayed that way for a few weeks, enough to change the soil temperature. I'm no expert, but I don't think that the temporary warm days are enough to drastically change the soil temperature.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Gix, I think your garlic will be fine. Do you have it mulched? By mulching it, you help to regulate the temperature swings it will experience. One thing to remember is that the temperature we usually refer to is air temperature, which is different from soil temperature.

I think what would be bad is if the temps got warm and stayed that way for a few weeks, enough to change the soil temperature. I'm no expert, but I don't think that the temporary warm days are enough to drastically change the soil temperature.
G5 it believe the reason you mulch garlic is for soil temp not air temp. It is supposed to regulate the soil and help protect the roots from teh freeze thaw cycle. Thus alleviating problems from root damge from the expanding and contracting that goes along with the freeze thaw cycle.

Too be quite honest we have not had a lot of temporary warm day's more like temporary cold day's. This has been one strange winter all over the world.

happygardener
Newly Registered

I must have planted garlic a year or two ago. Then ignored it. Now I have a little clump 1 foot square of small bulbs with green tops. I need to transplant them, I just don't know when. Should I pull every other one and put them in compost?, refrigerator, pot of dirt, what?

applestar
Mod

That happened to me last year. I found that when the ground is wet, you could firmly hold the little shoots one at time and give a steady pull to get the cloves out one by one. I collected a whole bunch of what looked kind of like scallions and planted them individually. Planted in spring, most of them grew a large single bulb rather than a cluster of cloves, and I harvested and used some of them earlier, like green onions. I planted the single bulbs when I planted garlic.

You can always dig up the clump and separate them too. Had to do that where the ground was not wet enough.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My ground froze in November, and has stayed frozen in spite of quite a few days near 50° F. I have to think the frost goes deeper than the garlic bulbs are planted. Just have to wait and see if it all comes through OK. I have grown Elephant garlic for many years and it has never failed me. I haven't been planting hard-neck nor soft-neck for too many years, so still learning about its characteristics. None has failed yet. It seems to be pretty hardy.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”