Tonio
Green Thumb

That would be verde Deborah :D

I don't like it too spicy either, you can't taste anything afterwards :eek:

I tend to go for poblano(ancho) ,pasilla, anaheim with a little touch of serrano, arbol, jalapeno chopped up very finely.

Oroz, chile are slow growing, earliest ones I've heard of are around 70 days to maturity. You should look for the early type.

T

Tonio
Green Thumb

oooh, I'm going to start pasilla bajio next week or so...
https://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/view/0181/Pepper-Chile-Pasilla-Bajio-Heirloom-Seed

T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I don't like it too hot either. I usually don't like anything hotter than Cayenne. One time I used to think Jalapenos were hot but got used to them, then thought Serranos were hot and while they do have a nice bite to them I am used to them now. So now I am going for something just a little hotter like Lemon Drop.

I think the more peppers you eat you get a tolerance to them.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea I thought serranos were hot but got used to em then I heard of the Ghost peppers and been eating Habaneros to get my tolorance up, now I can eat them at least 2 before sweating a tear but 3 is my tolerance

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

How don't you like peppers there the spice of life
DeborahL wrote:I can't believe anyone on the forum likes me-I hate hot peppers ! On tacos I like that bottled ultra-mild green sauce. :oops:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I gotta try a Habanero one of these days. Never had one but would like to try it and see what it is like.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Its intense if you eat it in one bite but delicious on many bites, they have a flavor that is way different than any other pepper

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Tonio, si, verde !

2cents
Green Thumb

una advertencia. Fertilizer after plants start pepper production will increase plant growth and shut down budding & pepper production for a month or so.I've not noticed much difference in heat, but not a Scoville expert.
I've just started to save certain seeds and interested in any of the three you mentioned. I'm still a novice.
I prefer flan over orroz con leche, but both are excellent.
Adios

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote:Its intense if you eat it in one bite but delicious on many bites, they have a flavor that is way different than any other pepper
Yeah that is what I hear. That habaneros have a good fruity flavor but most people don't taste it cause the heat numbs you. But after you build a tolerance you can taste the real flavor. I don't plan on taking a habanero whole but maybe a small bite on the 1st try.

BTW there is this pepper called Aji Dulce, supposedly it is the same taste as the habanero minus the heat.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I received some Aji Dulce by a good friend from Puerto Rico and I have a few left if you need any, and they are just sprouting and Yea I heard they are delicious, even thought I'm not so much a fan of Sweet peppers those caught my eye, besides been well known

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I already have some. Gonna grow them this Spring.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well I got Serrano, Jalapeno, Manzano and a couple more sprouting right now, the Manzano is a good size but my main one is the Ghost Pepper but that is still a seed trying to sprout.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I got a Serrano going on year 2. It is growing peppers right now too with this temp. But it is growing more slowly. During the Spring/Summer I got like 50 something peppers off the plant. Then it got sick for some reason, its leaves were yellowing and curling. After giving it some TLC it came back. Once it gives me this next group of peppers I am gonna prune it down about half way.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Omg my oldest serrano plant is been growing for over 4-5 months and for some reason after it got its 4 true leaves it just stoped and its been like that sense then, I planted a tomato plant about two months ago and it got way bigger than the serrano, the serrano looks healthy just not growing, my Manzano is catching up so if it does I'm just going to switch pots and let the manzano pepper take its place

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I had a tomato plant stop growing and it even had tomatoes on it not ripe yet. But since it has been sunny for a week to 2 weeks I can see it growing a little. The tomatoes look like they may ripen soon and I see more tomatoes forming in some flowers.

Yeah the cooler weather will do that. Sounds like your Serrano is doing what my tomato did. It is still alive but may be dormant.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea sound like what us doing, but its weird that the other plants ain't but if they wana stay dormant till spring than that's fine with me, it will give me a head start in spring.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

This is my room, all are paper mouthwash paper cups, on top of the header of my bed, From Left to Right 100% Germination: Chile De Arbol, Serrano, Aji Dulce, Guajillo, Jalapeno, Habanero, Manzano, Small Jalapeno. [img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-01-04220943.jpg[/img]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Cool. When they get a little bigger change them to a pot a little bigger. Then when spring comes around put them in the ground.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But right away I would put drainage holes in the cups, so water doesn't stay in it. Then you will need to put some kind of tray under them so the water doesn't make a mess all over. If you can't do that, you will need to be VERY, VERY careful about how much water you give -- water with an eyedropper!

For future reference, I would fill the cups to almost the top with potting soil, just enough that the soil doesn't spill over. Your little seedlings are sitting down at the bottom of a well, which cuts down the amount of light they get. They probably aren't getting as much light as they would like no matter what you do, so you don't want to cut it down any more.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea my plan is to fill it with soil to the top put holes in the bottom, I can put em by a window for light and see who can stay alive, I found 8 pots for a dollar at the 99 ...¢ store so I'm going to put them in there when they get big and in spring on the floor

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”