sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Re: 1st time planting potatoes

Last year, I put aside a certain amount of space I wanted to fill with potatoes. I cut up my potatoes and found I still had more space to use up. I was in a hurry and just filled the rest of the space up with whole potatoes. I didn't seem to notice much of a difference. Could of been the kind of potato, I think the extra was Bintje. I love that potato. I usually plant four and it is my favorite.

I believe, from my experience, that a onion left over from the year before that starts to sprout will bolt and give you lots of seeds for the next year but not much of a bulb.

You could leave the turnips and collect seeds for next year form them.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: back to cental az for now, elevation 5141, lat 34.57

I usually choose small seed potatoes to plant and mine usually have only a couple of eyes anyway.

Sigh, I planted my seed potatoes a month ago about, and they were doing so well, up about a foot, bushy, healthy, I was so proud... then...a few nights ago, zapped by frost. Since then, zapped a couple more times worse! Should have thrown a sheet over them, but didn't think it was going to get that cold!

Heartbreaking, but, that happened to me in the past and it seems like they recover from it, hope they do this time. It may still frost again til mid May, who knows?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: back to cental az for now, elevation 5141, lat 34.57

This thread reminds me of the way Ruth Stout used to plant potatoes, just lifted up the mulch and put them under there. Said she had great potatoes. She wrote books on mulching, gardening without work, etc. Probably lots of gardeners here remember her.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, definitely love Ruth Stout's books and video, which are hard to find these days.

Potatoes are pretty tough and cold hardy plants, I imagine they will recover fine.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”