brandon558
Cool Member

Too late for Garlic?

I live in eastern North Carolina and am fairly new to gardening. My girlfriend loves Garlic and wanted me to plant some. Looking and reading about it I see its best to plant in the fall and to harvest in the spring. My question is, are there any ways to get around that and plant now or even in the spring? I'm knew to this as you can tell, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

applestar
Mod

Around here, I'm supposed to plant mid-Oct early November and harvest mid to late July, sometimes early August. But I was unable to plant garlic this fall.

However, Mother Nature has been giving us unusually warm-ish days all fall and even into early winter while I wistfully looked out the window.

Yesterday, I finally felt well enough to putz around the garden. The garden soil was loose and unfrozen, and it was 55°F in the afternoon. So I planted a row of garlic....

We'll see how they do -- I'm thinking either smaller bulbs or late harvest.

P.S. I also found a forgotten pumpkin that I'd given up on ages ago thinking it would have frozen solid by now, still solid and unspoiled. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would say go for it. I have planted in the fall with great success and also in the spring with a dismal return. The garlic won't last forever so either plant it or eat, at least that is how I see it. As apple said the weather is holding out. so a late planting would be better than a later planting. Planting now would only put you a couple of month's behind.

Do you already have the garlic? if not it will be hard to find as most sellers will be sold out of most if not all their supply.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Glad to hear you are feeling better, applestar!

I just plant garlic from the grocery store, you can always find that.

brandon558
Cool Member

thanks for the replys. I'm going to give it a shot. If nothing else I will learn from it!

Thanks again

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”