nathan125

Melon Reviews

I am interested in getting some different melon varieties but before I go that far I would like your opinions and reviews. Any info on these melons would be helpful, please give me personal/first hand info, bit a baker creek blurb. days to harvest, disease resistance, yield, fruit weight etc. I am in zone 5b/6a with hot, dry summers.
Melons:
Pear Melon
Gingers pride
weeks north carolina giant
bidwell casaba
Thayer
zatta

any info is appreciated. thanks and blessings

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have grown none of those varieties. I live in Northern Utah at 5000 ft elevation. The best melons I have found for this location are Burpee's Hybrid, a cant and Charleston Grey watermelon. I think these would do well for you too in Idaho. I offered seed for Charleston Grey in the seed swap section.

You are in a slightly warmer area than me and possibly other varieties will do well. Watch the maturity dates. I have found that the melons take typically ten days longer here than the suggested dates on the package. This because on average the temps are cooler than where the variety was developed. I need a fairly short season melon to make it here.

Welcome to the forum!

PS, that is a Charleston Grey Melon on my avatar.

erlyberd
Cool Member

Always wanted to try Sweet Granite from Johnnny's. Its supposed to be for northern growers but I think the flavor is just average. It was bred at the University of New Hampshire so must be cool weather adapted.

I've had good luck with Minnesota Midget but again its not the best tasting melon but better than none. Its very small, personal sized, and the vines are short, like no more than 4 feet in length. I typically just grow them in a large pot. Harvested on August, 2nd 2011 anyway, as its marked in my garden book, unsure of exact seed date though. Sorry.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”