njpagirl
Newly Registered

Zucchini in a Smart Pot?

We put in a raised bed last year for the first time. Overall, everything did great but the zucchini was lacking the room it needed. I thought about planting a zucchini in a fabric smart pot - 20 gallon. Would this work? Also, since it will be outside of fenced raised bed, will the bunnies snack on it?

Thanks - as usual.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow.... new stuff all the time!

I had never heard of a smart pot, so looked it up:

[url=https://www.wayfair.com/Smart-Pot-Plant-Container-RC-NRM1000.html?refid=GPA49-NRM1000_5888423&PiID=5888423&gclid=CO_p2oqssa0CFUOo4AodBFaLmQ]smart pot[/url]

Keeps the plant from getting pot bound. Very cool. Since I obviously know nothing about smart pots, I can't really speak to how well your zuke will do, but 20 gal sounds like it should be enough

Re the rabbits, I think they do eat the leaves and flowers of zucchini.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

The problem with that is squash and zucchini love the heat but there roots like it cool shady in the afternoon. I tried growing them in barrels and that did not work for me. I did have luck digging a hole putting a bag of good compost in the hole after punching several holes in the bag for drainage. they did outstanding I planted them where they could get a little afternoon shade they did fantastic. I did not think up that idea I seen it in a old organic gardening magazine in the 80's. I have grown tomatoes squash artichokes and melons in bags.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I expect that the afternoon shade and shade on the roots is a lot more critical there in AZ than it would be for us in OH and PA...

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I live in northern Arizona it gets up to a 100 once in a while but that is not the norm for the area mid 90's during the summer heat. I read in organic gardening 20 to 30 years ago to plant your squash melons cucumbers where there roots are cooler afternoon shade that you will have a better harvest and since I have done so I could really see a big difference. But you might be right who knows for sure.

njpagirl
Newly Registered

Hmm. I'll probably give it a try but now will definately think about the sun vs shade options.

Thanks much!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”