Intriguedbybonsai

Do You Grow Portabello or Shitake Mushrooms?

Has anyone ever tried growing them? Portabello, Shiitake? I love them and I only buy them at grocery stores because I know those are the safe ones to eat. I've seen mushroom kits for sale online, but I've never attempted to buy one. Is it safe to grow your own mushrooms at home? I won't end up growing some abnormal strain that is poisonous will I?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would say, if you buy from a reputable source and use a sterile substrate, it's quite safe. One should also familiarize themselves with the species grown. Most suppliers have photos and videos.

I will be growing Stropharia on wood chips or straw, also Pleurotus on willow stumps. The Stropharia on straw may have potatoes growing also. It's the polyculture thing. :wink:

Couple sources,
https://www.fieldforest.net/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

https://www.fungi.com/kits/indoor.html

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intriguedbybonsai

DDF, do you grow yours indoor or out? Thanks for your quick reply. I may consider ordering a kit from the sites you've provided.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I must confess, I tried growing mushrooms on logs about 20 years ago and failed miserably. I'm a little older now and maybe a little more informed on the subject. The internet is a wonderful thing or is it? 8)

Garden Giant / Wine Cap and Oyster mushrooms will be grown outside.

Last summer, I cleared a 50ft by 50ft garden expansion area. I've come to the conclusion that I won't have the funds to finish preparation by spring. For now, I will inoculate the large willow stumps with oyster mushroom and inoculate wood chip / straw beds, on contour, with Garden Giant.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”