jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Kale is beautiful

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/kale.jpg[/img]

Kale is a beautiful plant. It is also full of good vitamins and minerals. I often see it used as a display plant, rather than featured as something to eat. I wonder if any of you eat it and how do you like it prepared? I will just cut it up and add to a salad for myself. Don't dare add it to salad for the family. They would probably turn up their nose at it?

When I go to the farmer's market as a vendor, I will throw a couple of heads of kale on the table for decoration. Once in a while someone will buy my table decoration. :)

Intriguedbybonsai

I like kale. We usually prepare it like collard greens, seasoned and boiled. I don't think I've ever had it fresh though. I'd love to try growing some, but space is limited when you're confined to an apartment, and you can only use pots. :P

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't eat it raw either, but like it and other greens stir fried with a bit of onion and garlic. Then if you want, you can throw that veggie mix into an omelet and it's wonderful!

applestar
Mod

I love fresh raw kale in salad. it especially stands up to pre-dressing unlike leaf lettuce and other tender salad greens.

My first introduction to kale in salad was at my favorite lunch spot where I used to work -- a health food store that served fresh carrot and mix veg juice along with healthy sandwiches and their house specialty salad: Kale, shredded carrots and red cabbage, red onions, alfalfa sprouts, almonds, and freshly cooked brown rice (yep) dressed in rice vinegar-lemon juice-EVOO vinaigrette. Whether from the hot rice or the vinaigrette, the kale would get just limp enough to be not so tough looking by the time I brought it back to work to eat.

I also like to make German potato salad with the hot vinegar dressing and toss with fresh kale and freshly fried bacon bits.

OK I don't want to make it sound like I always use hot dressing on kale -- I like mixing kale with other greens and flowers and have it in cold salad too. At the bottom of the salad bowl or plate, kale is still crisp and hearty while other more delicate greens are limp and hanging off the fork or plastered to the plate....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A farmers market customer, makes smoothies out of Red Russian kale.

Eric

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I use Kale regularly. I too see them used as garnish or decorations. And yes they are packed with lots of nutrients. I put some leaves in my smoothie and blend it up. I also cut it up for salads, also it is a good green to add in a veggie soup. I like the smooth Kale more though cause it is easier to clean the curly kind make it easier for bugs and their eggs to hide in the curls.

Artemesia
Cool Member

I eat a small amount of kale raw but not much since it is goitrogenic in large amounts. Most of the time, I chop it up and boil it. Then I mix it in soups, stews, chili, casserole, meat loaf, etc. If it comes in contact with meat, the protein will temporarily bond with the tannins in the kale. It makes it taste better. Sometimes I parboil and dry for use out of season.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've eaten it a few ways. I love it raw in salads with other garden greens. Sometimes I'll add it to my home made soups like a good hearty vegetable/beef or even in some chicken noodle for a bit more texture. I'll sometimes use it in stir fry dishes. It can be cooked down like collards or spinach with onions, garlic and a bit of ham or smoke sausage.

It can also be cut up in fairly large pieces, drizzled with a bit of olive oil to lightly coat it, add a bit of sea salt and other seasonings of choice. Then place it on a baking sheet spaced out as to not touch each other and dried in an oven at about 250 degrees until crisp and eaten like veggie chips.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

One of my friends juices it a lot grows tons of it and drinks it. I tried it in a smoothie and almost gagged I think its one of those you like it or don't drinks.

soil
Greener Thumb

as mentioned my favorite way is kale smoothies. toss some kale in the blender with a bunch of tropical fruits and puree, enjoy.

kale chips are good for people new to eating kale.

I also use kale in many pasta dishes.

stir fry

juicing

raw in salads

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Dusty, that cracked me up. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Even in my neglected garden, some of the Kale are standing strong even now. I think the 2nd yr Lucinato went to seed and seems to have died but the Red Russian Kale is looking beautiful, especially in the SW Nook Garden and in the Kitchen Garden off the southeast facing brick patio.

Out front in my edible landscape front fence row where they are exposed to NE winds, they are beginning to look limp but the cold weather enhanced startling purple stalks and leaf midribs and the deep forest green leaves POP against the white fence.

Along with some leeks and winter mustard greens that are also standing strong, I picked a big bunch of kale to put in the New Years Eve noodle soup, and made kale and mustard green chips with what was left.

I went with simple EVOO and sea salt with the first batch, but also drizzled some lavender infused honey and a sprinkle of raw sugar to offset the bitter aftertaste in the 2nd batch, and now, I can't seem to stop eating them. So much that I had to go out and pick some more kale today. :lol:

Deep freeze winter should've been here by now... And no doubt is on its way. Best to pick what's left before they are done. :wink:

:lol: BTW, I can't resist mentioning that, last night, DH rolled his eyes at me when I pulled on my boots to go get the fresh greens for the soup, but when I looked for them after he served himself and the kids, there were barely any leeks left in the entire pot and when I casually mentioned it, he said he LOVED the leeks so much he took all he could find.... :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”