Avonnow
Green Thumb

predator nematodes

Anybody ever bought these and used them, I am thinking of doing this to help with the bad nematodes, cutworms things in the soil ( I do believe I have them in areas) looking at the roots of plants I have pulled out. Just want some thought, I checked online and some items have gotten rave reviews on Amazon and other sites - What do you guys think? Also if you do it it, is it something you do like once a year - in other words too much is bad. Also any suggestions on types - I just want them for my veggie garden and I see some people use them on lawns and such. :wink:

applestar
Mod

You read my mind! I haven't done it in a while but it did help the one year I applied in spring and fall. That was a while ago and there has been some advances in the whole biological pest control arena.

I believe this IS the right time to apply for you in Florida. My problem is I often miss the correct window in application timing since they should be applied while cool but not freezing, and I tend to have such a variable but SHORT spring and fall AND have extended drought in erly fall which then is not a good time either.

I'm overrun with wireworms -- carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, .... All are victims. I have to wait until spring, but maybe I WILL get some good nematodes for my garden too!

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yeah I hope I can get some info before I order, I could read all day on the Internet, but when you are new to something I would rather hear from others who have tried it. It doesn't seem to be a bad thing, and it will help for upcoming spring planting, I am all for it.

applestar
Mod

Avon, if you haven't already, have a look at this:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

...you did say you wanted more input, didn't you? :wink: :>

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

For wireworm, give used coffee grounds a try. Some recommend cheap unused coffee grounds. Sprinkle on the surface, then scratch them in.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Thanks, Eric! (I remember you said that before, but I forgot :oops: )

Sounds like a trip to Starbucks is in order once the ground thaws this spring -- I heard they don't HAVE to give away their UCGs any more, but hopefully if I call ahead, they'll save me some.... 8)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There have been many discussions here at THG about beneficial nematodes. I just performed a Search of the forum and received six (6) pages of hits, many dealing with Squash Vine Borers and Leaf Miners :x in Florida gardens.

Just giving you a secondary phrase to search on, in addition to "predator nematodes." HTH! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”