Middleman777

Veggies in hanging baskets.

Can it be done, and if so which vegetables?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I woud say peas, climbing beans and cukes!. Probably 3 to 4 per hanging standard baket! Ornamental peppers! Climbers You could grow them up or down! Radish and cress along with chives or even parsley, basil mosy herbs but good topsoil of compost would be the key to good growth!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Id say strawberries but that's a fruit as for radishes can grow anywere for hanging baskets I would do something that woyld look more nice than how prolific it is besides the soil is key part like he said and somewere that gets sun. My opinion go with peas

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are dwarf varieties of cucumbers that would work -- there's even one called the Hanging Basket Cucumber.

Also any of the prostrate herbs such as oregano and thyme would be very nice in hanging baskets.

applestar
Mod

Just remember that a hanging basket is prone to the effects of extremes of the weather -- heat, cold, wind -- and also dry out faster. Depending on where they are hung, they may also only receive limited sun exposure or rain.

3-4 cukes would be too many, I think. And tomatoes should be the patio or other varieties bred for container culture -- one plant to a pot.
Beans and peas will desperately try to climb up any way and anything they can -- but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Planting salad greens and hanging them at convenient level (not overhead) may be a good way to protect them from ground-level pest animals (like rabbits... But deer -- if they get that close -- may think you hung them feeding buckets.... Birds and squirrels will still go after strawberries and the basket will need to be netted without touching the berries.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Some plants do well in the shade or part shade in hanging baskets. Try naturtium which can be eaten and is great in salads especially the flowers. Besides they will vine and fill up the area with beautiful leaves and flowers. I have several in my solar greenhouse now and they are huge with big leaves and flowers!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

There's a cherry tomato specifcally for hanging baskets called Tumbling Tom. I believe they come in red and yellow.

Middleman777

Thanks y'all for the advice!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”