jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Winter Squash

In the past week I have cooked a Hubbard and a Yellow Banana squash. Both were excellent. I am going to plant these again. What is your favorite winter squash?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Burgess Buttercup with just a pad of butter. If you like it even sweeter, a drizzly of maple syrup or brown sugar, but it really isn't needed.

Delicata is a favorite of mine also. Technically a summer squash.

I will be growing no summer squash for myself this year. I really don't like any of the summer squashes.

Eric

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Baked Hubbard with butter and brown sugar in the middle !

soil
Greener Thumb

I love red kuri for the smaller winter squashes, excellent flavor.

ill be trying a few more from this site again. the few I tried last year were excellent.

https://www.nativeseeds.org/index.php/component/redshop/47/0/seeds/squash

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kabocha.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

somewhat new to the winter squash but Butternut did great for me last year. I may branch out to some more this year but I have a LOT of tomatoes going in and room is scarce.

Where there is a will there is a way though.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Butternut is a great choice. They are the best keepers. They are also of a size that you can use easily. With the Hubbards, you cut it up and go visit the neighbors. I have another Hubbard in the garage that has pumpkin pie written all over it.

Another thing I like about Butternut is that they will come true to type year after year when you keep seed. They do not hybridize with the other squashes and pumpkins.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Oh, wait, did I mean butternut? It's the one shaped like an hourglass, and beige color.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:Oh, wait, did I mean butternut? It's the one shaped like an hourglass, and beige color.
Yes peanut. :lol:

Eric

Richard L.

One of the items I grow each year is butternut squash, also acorn squash. We do grow yellow squash in early Summer mainly to ad to home made soup.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

:oops:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Burgess Buttercup with just a pad of butter. If you like it even sweeter, a drizzly of maple syrup or brown sugar, but it really isn't needed.

Delicata is a favorite of mine also. Technically a summer squash.

I will be growing no summer squash for myself this year. I really don't like any of the summer squashes.

Eric
I should have looked thru this thread earlier. I can just ditto Eric!

A problem was that after growing Delicata for, I guess, 4 years and only having the fruits fully mature once, I gave up on it!

Burgess Buttercup always comes thru for me. I'm continuing to try kabochas and Cha Cha did okay for me during the last 2 seasons. Hope to try some more from the buttercup/kabocha group.

Steve

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I ENVY :? all of you who have the room and ability to grow winter squash, I think it is one of my favorite(s) :D I still have to buy them, the only thing enjoying squash in my garden is bugs. I have NO LUCk at all, none - I have every seeds packet you can imagine - I just keep trying, but bugs and disease get em all. :evil: I Love butternut and Delicata, they are so good in curry dishes - wihich we have about once a week, or just by themselves. My kids won't touch them, and yet I think they are so much better then a potato - Oh well their taste buds will grow up one day.

Artemesia
Cool Member

Kabocha Gold Nugget is also pretty good.
Tatume is very drought and disease resistant.
I am a big fan of Turks Cap, Rouge Vif d' Etampes, Red Kuri, Mini Red Turban, Golden Delicious, Victo, etc.
They are all red and contain some lycopene.

MaryDel

Hubbard "squarsh" :roll: are my favorite. It's hard to find a finer grained winter squash anywhere. I like them whipped, as in whipped potatoes. A blob of butter and maybe a splash of gravy......mmmmmmm

It's a shame they are so hard to grow here :(

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

lol ditto on Erics picks. very good

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”