DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Your Favorite Potato

We probably already covered this topic, can we do it again. 8)

I'm looking at maybe 3 varieties.

Some I'm considering are,

Kipfel (Kipfler) Fingerling ( 120 days Yellow skin - yellow flesh )
Sangre ( Early-season 70-90 days Red skin- white flesh )
Yukon Gold ( Early-season 70-90 days Yellow skin - yellow flesh )

What say you?

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Red Pontiac is better than Yukon Gold. I have not tried the other two you mention.

The Russet types are great too. Idaho is famous for its russets. This is also better than Yukon Gold.

IMO

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/potato_1.jpg[/img]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

soil
Greener Thumb

my favorite that i grow has to be the purple viking. amazing color, flavor, texture, everything.

i also like a red potato that ive been growing for a few years, not sure on the name but they get very big. like jals in the photo.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Kipfel (Kipfler) Fingerling ( 120 days, Yellow skin - yellow flesh )
Sangre ( 70-90 days, Red skin- white flesh )
Yukon Gold ( 70-90 days, Yellow skin - yellow flesh )
Red Pontiac ( 80-100 days, Red skin - White flesh )
Purple Viking( 80-100 days, Purple skin - White flesh )

Red Pontiac is was popular here in Washington. How well do they store? One site recommends them for new potatoes and fresh eating.

Soil, How many generations on the red unknown? Any deterioration?

Eric

lorax
Greener Thumb

Good luck finding any of these, but:

Oro Morado (multipurpose) - 100-120 days, purple and gold skin, pale flesh, about halfway between waxy and starchy
Atahualpa (multipurpose) - 90-110 days, red and gold skin, gold flesh, a touch on the waxy side
Super Chola (frier) - 90-120 days, red skin, gold flesh, waxy
Locro (soup) - 90-100 days, gold skin, white flesh, super crumbly, melts when cooked
Ambateñita (fingerling) - 85-100 days, blue skin, white flesh marbled with blue, waxy
Ibarreña (fingerling) - 85-100 days, purple and gold skin, gold flesh with purple hearts and marbling, waxy

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Oro Morado (multipurpose) - 100-120 days, purple and gold skin, pale flesh, about halfway between waxy and starchy
Atahualpa (multipurpose) - 90-110 days, red and gold skin, gold flesh, a touch on the waxy side
Locro (soup) - 90-100 days, gold skin, white flesh, super crumbly, melts when cooked
Ambateñita (fingerling) - 85-100 days, blue skin, white flesh marbled with blue, waxy
Ibarreña (fingerling) - 85-100 days, purple and gold skin, gold flesh with purple hearts and marbling, waxy

Lorax, I'll take one of each. :D

Eric

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Well, I'm boring. Good old Russets are still my favorite.
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I like russet potatoes also. I've tried Burbank and Norkotah. I don't remember the harvest, it most have been low.

Any russeted varieties you recommend?

Eric

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'm only a container/patio gardener. My Russets are from the store. :oops:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You should probably grow what grows best at your geographical location.

Yukon Gold suck. I would never grow those and I would not take some if they were free.

I like the RED potatos best.

Russet would be my second choice.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

The reason I like Russets is because the reds and golds seem gluey to me. I like the fluffier types.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Red Pontiac is was popular here in Washington. How well do they store?
I will store the reds until May in the pit.

The Russet Burbank is the most common potato variety grown in Idaho. It is really hard to beat these for bakers.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:You should probably grow what grows best at your geographical location.

Yukon Gold suck. I would never grow those and I would not take some if they were free.

I like the RED potato's best.

You have a strong opinion about Yukon Gold, do you have a strong opinion on what red potato you like? There are dozens of red potatoes. My brother grew Sangre last year. Nice potato with good yield.

I'm leaning toward try Norkotah russet again. :D

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am not going to be able to add much to this conversation . . . despite my location.

A few things have worked against me becoming much of a potato expert, besides being hundreds of miles from the Snake River plains and Idaho's potato fields. I grew potatoes until I began questioning the wisdom of taking up garden space since spuds are so easily and cheaply available at the soopermarket. Then . . . all these different varieties for the home garden became available :) !

There is also the high shipping cost for seed potatoes. But, why should I bother with ordering seed when there is a garden center nearby with a dozen potato varieties available by April Fool's Day??! Problem is, some are the same as can be found at any soopermarket. The others . . . the OTHERS . . . will be in the garden center bins this year and NOT, the next year!

So, I was a spud grower back in what I could say were the "pre-Yukon Gold" days. Gave 'em up for 30 years then was lured back into growing spuds because all these cool ones were available at the garden center. Only to have none of those cool ones available for more than 1 year at a time!!

Okay, I have to grow Yukon Golds because they are DW's favorite, I've learned to like them, and they are as productive as any other that I've grown in the last 6 or 7 years. They are also always available as seed.

Red Norlands are also very productive - I had right at 1#/1sqft in the potato beds this year and Yukon Golds & Red Norlands were at the top. This was the 2nd year for me to have Norlands . . . I wish they'd hold up just a little better in storage but the YG's and Norlands are incredibly early. I like that!

This was the 1st year that I've had Purple Viking. The name kind of threw me when I harvested them. Pink . . . but, they've turned purple in storage ;) . PV are good size - nearly all of them as big as a 10oz coffee mug. Maybe I should have left a few more eyes on the seed pieces. There should have been smaller tubers but, maybe, more of them. PV produced less pounds per foot than YG's and Norlands. They are trying to sprout these days but really holding up well - a good early. I had a big pot of them for mashed potatoes with Christmas dinner :D !

I still haven't come up with a "favorite" russet. I was hoping that my choice could be my late spud, super producer and a long-keeper. Probably, someone could sell me a Russet Burbank, call it something like Fantasy Russet, and I'd think that I'd hit the jackpot :roll: !

Sangre? I grew that once - really been hoping to find it available again locally!

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Gary350 wrote:You should probably grow what grows best at your geographical location.

I like the RED potato's best.

You have a strong opinion about Yukon Gold, do you have a strong opinion on what red potato you like? There are dozens of red potatoes. My brother grew Sangre last year. Nice potato with good yield.

I'm leaning toward try Norkotah russet again. :D

Eric
I like the RED potatoes in the grocery store. I'm not sure if they are RED pontiac? Farm supply store sells 3 types of potatoes in March, Red, Ruset and one other I can not recall the name at the moment.

Someone told me how great Yukon Gold potatos are so I bought some in the store. I did not like them at all and never bought anymore. I don't grow things I don't eat.

Farm supply sells onion in March too, Red, White, Yellow. They are not big on real names. LOL.

I have given up on growing potatoes I tried for 35 years I think it is too hot in TN. None stop rain 4 months of rain in the fall then no rain and 2 months of 100 deg weather and desert like conditions in summer.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

In Arizona I grow a Grande russet and Red Thumb Fingerlings both are very yummy

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

well, despite the rampant yukon gold hate, i think they're a good multi-purpose potato...better varieties for baking, maybe, but yukons sure fry well. is there anything specific the detractors can mention, or is it a general 'don't like the taste/texture'? just curious. if anyone's offering, i would take them if they were free.

for waxy boiling or soup potatoes, i like russian banana (yellow fingerling) and rose finn (red skinned, white/pink fleshed fingerling).

for reds, i like red pontiac better than, say, a red norland, but would prefer a yukon.

for blues, i like all-blue, but haven't tried growing other types, or known if/when i was eating them.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I don't like the taste, the gluey-ness, the small size and the color.
In a word-YUCK !

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:I don't like the taste, the gluey-ness, the small size and the color.
In a word-YUCK !
@ what variety?

Eric

Intriguedbybonsai

Are sweet potatoes considered a true potato? If so, then they are my favorite. Hot from an oven with butter and cinnamon.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Eric, the Yukon Golds. Yick !

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My Yukons can be HUGE, Deborah!

Really big spuds may split internally, which I blame on too much growth, altho' I don't know if that's true.

I need to be sure not to cut the seed too small. With more eyes, the plants grow tubers that are a more manageable size. The Yukons may also use their space better and produced more pounds.

What took me a few seasons to adjust to was the color. They look like they are loaded with butter! But, they ain't . . . so, that kinda hurt my feelings. Need to add butter in the real world, if'n I want it.

Tastes are Subjective. Growing environment is probably real, real important for production, disease resistance and likely affects flavor, also.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Red Norland (81-90 days, Red skin and white flesh )
Rio Grande Russet ( 100-130 days, russet skin and white flesh )
Red Thumb Fingerling ( 80-100 days, Red skin and pink flesh )
Russian banana (fingerling) 105-135 days, yellow skin and yellow flesh)
Rose Finn Apple (Fingerling) 80-100 days, Pinkish skin and yellow flesh)
All-blue ( 90-110 days, Deep blue skin with blue flesh / white lines)

Sweet potatoes are a different family. They are related to morning glory.
Tastes are Subjective. Growing environment is probably real, real important for production, disease resistance and likely affects flavor, also
Yes, I would have to agree. I will add, There is no better then home grown.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

well, despite the rampant yukon gold hate, i think they're a good multi-purpose potato...better varieties for baking, maybe, but yukons sure fry well. is there anything specific the detractors can mention, or is it a general 'don't like the taste/texture'?
I grew the Yukon Gold for two years. They are a bit earlier than the Pontiac and did not produce nearly as well. I did not like the flavor as well as the Pontiac. So, no more Yukon Gold for me.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”