Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Do Dehydrated bell peppers loose their flavor?

I am thinking next summer I will use my solar dehydrator to dehydrate some bell peppers. They will be great for pizza and a few other things.

I froze some sliced and diced bell peppers in the freezer one year that worked ok but that requires electricity to run a freezer full time and that cost money. Dehydrated bell peppers don't cost anything to keep.

john gault
Green Thumb

I dehydrate a lot for hiking trips and generally speaking veggies, including peppers, have much more flavor after dehydrating, because the water, that dilutes much of the taste, has been removed. However, take care not to over-dehydrate, to the point of it being brittle, you want a little flexibility; if you do over-dehydrate it will lose flavor and nutrients.

Also over-cooking, I.e. putting in boiling water for you stew can remove a lot of flavor; that's how I usually eat dehydrated veggies -- cooked into my rice stew. I never add the veggies to the water until the rice is about 1/2 done, but it's something you may want to experiment to see what suits your tastes. Just don't put them into the water from the start or else they'll lose all their flavor.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I use a dehydrator for peppers and I dry them well so they keep until the next harvest. They rehydrate best in warm/hot water (about 1/2 - 1 hour)and taste just like they came out of the garden - sweet and fresh.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”