ThorsDottir

Bell pepper problem

[img]https://images.43places.com/comment/174546pw600.jpg[/img]

Several of my green bell peppers have this on them. Upon slicing one open, I find nothing wrong inside. It isn't mushy and affects only the bottoms of the peppers. What is this? I have searched all over Google but only found information regarding stem discoloration or actual black SPOTS, not these patches.

Also, I hope this is in the right place. I considered putting it in the Organic pests/diseases area but I'm not 100% organic (organic pesticides but we used Miracle Gro to plant them).

Thanks in advance for any help!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'll be watching for an answer! I have seen this on mine as well. I have never had any luck with growing bell peppers. I can grow almost any other type of pepper very well, but in 5 years of trying I have only eaten one bell pepper from my garden.

Next year I will be able to say one pepper in 6 years :)...oh you didn't think I was gong to stop trying did you? lol

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Are you concerned with those areas that seem to have some dark pigment present? The little dark blotches? I think that is just the way peppers do. The dark color shows up all the time and doesn't seem to bother the fruit at all from what I have been able to tell.

ThorsDottir

I didn't know whether or not to be concerned. I really didn't believe it to be a disease or a bacteria, but this is my first year gardening and so I had no experience to base a judgement on, other than it didn't look like any of the things on Google Image search when I looked for "black spots on bell pepper."

So it seems like they are probably perfectly good to eat, just a little less-than-beautiful on the outside? I cut away the bottom and used the rest of a pepper last night in a fresh salad and I didn't die, it was actually quite delicious.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I believe this is what the horticulturalists at the University of Florida call, [url=https://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/success_stories/T&PGuide/pdfs/Chapter2/Pepper_Cultivars.pdf]"Stip and Pepper stip or Pepper spot - a physiological disorder characterized by small discolored spots on pods on maturity"[/url]

Many peppers develop a black pigment as they mature. I have seen it said that this is a result of cool growing conditions. If you look in that linked list you will find that there are resistant varieties that are suggested.

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I see it on my green bells and never thought it was something serious.

ThorsDottir

digitS' wrote:I believe this is what the horticulturalists at the University of Florida call, [url=https://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/success_stories/T&PGuide/pdfs/Chapter2/Pepper_Cultivars.pdf]"Stip and Pepper stip or Pepper spot - a physiological disorder characterized by small discolored spots on pods on maturity"[/url]

Many peppers develop a black pigment as they mature. I have seen it said that this is a result of cool growing conditions. If you look in that linked list you will find that there are resistant varieties that are suggested.

Steve
This is exactly it- thank you kindly!

edit: for clarification :P we went from 90 degree F temperatures to a cold snap that lasted about 1 week, then back to 80s/90s and that is when it started appearing. O/T sort of but my oranges did the same thing, except worse, but I have 8 years experience with oranges and 0 with peppers. So this information is much appreciated!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I see those darker patches on store peppers sometimes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”