PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Anyone have experience growing Ginger?

Hi,

Has anyone grown Ginger before? What was your experiences? How much space in-ground and in a pot would it need? I hear it needs some shade, about how much shade/sun total? When is the ideal time to start it? And how soon could I harvest some of it? If you have any pics of your plants post them up. Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a couple of previous threads here about growing ginger:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206502#206502

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174586#174586

I didn't go any farther back than that in looking-- took a bit of sorting through all the references to wild ginger, which is totally unrelated to culinary, and all the mentions of ginger in recipes....

Tilde
Green Thumb

I don't think the fuzzy one I pulled out of the back of the crisper drawer counts ... but I just realized I should have stuck the darn thing in a pot or at least the composter ... GAH. I should not clean out the fridge while sleepy.

I read those links when I was digging around (lorax, not the second one but there were a few more I can't find now); I'll probably get some grocery store ginger and stick it in a pot in a shady spot in the yard. Yum GINGER I love the stuff I don't know how it go buried behind old halloween candy in the crisper ...

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yep, having Ginger available all the time would be awesome. But for some reason I think it is a pretty big plant or it needs room to spread. Given the small garden space I have available I am not sure I can accommodate it. But we'll see. I am gonna go check at those links.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yep, having Ginger available all the time would be awesome
I would rather have Mary Ann, but this is way off topic.
:shock:

Sorry, Please continue. :P

Eric

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Eric, LOL ! I'd rather have the professor !

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”