ButterflyGarden

Since When do Birds Eat Garlic?

There is a bird eating all my garlic sprouts!! Sometimes he even pulls up the entire clove. Is this normal?

john gault
Green Thumb

I've never seen it, but what species?

ButterflyGarden

Looks like some kind of large crow.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Birds actually don't have much in the way of taste buds or a sense of smell, which is why substances such as hot pepper powder can be added to their food in an effort to keep squirrels out of it. Birds have outstanding hearing and vision, however, which is how they find their food. Robins, for instance, can hear earthworms burrowing in the ground, and raptors flying high in the sky can spot a mouse among the vegetation on the ground.

A vulture can't locate a dead animal if the carcass is hidden from the bird's view. Can't smell it, no matter how "ripe" the carcass might be. So to a crow, one green sprout is much like another. The bird will pull it out of the ground and decide to eat it or not, but the decision will be based on whether the animal recognizes the sprout as "food". :)

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

the crows pull my garlic up until it is a certain size, for about 3 weeks after planting I have to go back and put them back in the ground. If you plant them about 3" to begin with that will make it much harder. I have the most problems in areas with loose soil or in container gardens. Crows can be real trouble, they rarely eat them however, just put them up, my shallots as well.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

What about birds eating my Ducks food, they finish all of it in about a week were the ducks finish it in a months worth

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”