GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Container garden progress with pics

cutting barrels, drilling holes, spreading mulch, repeat. It' coming along. I think it's going to work well. I know some people don't agree with the use of plastic or just don't like the look, personally I am a little more about function than form. The uniformity of it is form enough for me to be happy if it allows me to keep the weed problem under control this year. Here it is so far.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/barrels.jpg[/img]

While I was digging in the mulch pile I found this worm. He was so big he slithered right out of the wheel barrow and started almost flying across the ground. I actually had to pin it with a stick before I touched it because it was moving so quick I couldn't tell if it was a worm or a baby snake! (no shortage of snakes around here.) when layed out flat he was actually bigger than the dollar bill without even being stretched at all. Wish the pic did more justice, he was enormous!

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/gigantoworm.jpg[/img]

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

keep us updated... I know there are a lot of people that have Bermuda grass all over there property and cant grow anything because it chokes it out. I think this is a great idea... :D

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

And in case anyone was wondering....I am still finding those little "biodegradable" net things that come on the outside of the Jiffy pellets that expand when you pour water on them, 3 years later. I suppose biodegradable is a loose term, could be 3 days, could be 300 years. But I thought that with Jiffy being a brand of gardening materials it would probably break down after about 1 season or year. Wrong again.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When I use Jiffy Pellets, I always take the netting off when I plant. I found that it didn't degrade very fast at all and strangled the roots. Those peat pots are supposed to let the roots right through also. Wrong. Its best to at least break the bottom off of those when planting. I took to using 9 oz. Solo cups (clear plastic) and potting mix for starts. Punch a hole in the bottom. You just take them off when planting and they are reusable.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Yeah I didn't enjoy them that year anyways and have avoided them since. I got loads (probably about 200) of small pots from the nursery near me for free from their recycle bin, with permission of course. Thankfully I did cut a slit in the netting when I planted with those jiffy pellets that year thanks to a fellow HG member's advice. I was just amazed to still find the stinkin' things in the garden a week ago when digging.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Great thread RN!

And some nice "bait" in there as well! 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I stay away from peat pots and anything with netting. Just plant in small pots or even buttertubs with good soil and you can't go wrong.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

If you had used a hundred dollar bill, the worm would have looked even larger.

(nice setup by the way!)

Ted

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

ha, if I had a hundred dollar bill I could have bought a bigger worm!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:ha, if I had a hundred dollar bill I could have bought a bigger worm!
Your right Jeff! I guess it just depends on how you look at it. :lol:

Ted

mhannum
Cool Member

Great photos, and that is one big worm!

I'm very wary of netting, pots, etc. that claim to degrade when you stick them in the ground and just leave them there. They always seem to last years and years - sure, they may degrade someday, but that's not really the point.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”