jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No shallots

My neighbor introduced me to shallots 2 years ago. I grew them for two years. My wife preferred to use onions. I couldn't sell them at the market. So, I didn't plant any this fall.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

lol you know I have a small family and I did the opposite and went with the shallots because we liked cooking with them better and they store so well. I did grow a few onions. The big daddy is what I used also mine got large and did well but not as well as yours. Great job.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Hhmmm :? . Well, I grow both, onions & shallots.

I've grown shallots for about 20 years. They keep super, super well - and what you have in the spring, you can plant. I don't put them in the ground in the fall.

Shallots have a different flavor from onions. They are kind of special as a scallion but also kind of a little too valuable for that ;) . It seems best to me to allow them to bulb up. Taste is subjective and some like this, others like something different.

What I didn't grow in this family in 2011 was leeks and now I'm sorry about that. What I haven't grown in 15 years or so, is garlic. I'm okay with that. We do use garlic but only a clove or 2 each week. Shallots keeps just as well or better than garlic and, altho' I don't use as much as the bulb onions, it is still nice to have a fair amount.

Steve :)

edited to add: I keep the basket of shallots in the garage. it is really cold out there thru much of the winter. there's no question that it freezes. this is always where I've kept the shallots and I don't really know how they'd do in, say, the kitchen thru the winter. that's where the garlic that we buy stays and it will sprout after awhile. probably a little to warm for them there.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I found that the shallots kept very well too. However, if no one wants to use them, I will devote the space to something else. I grew some bunching onions, and the scallions sold very well at market.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”