PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Letting radishes go to seed

Hi,

I have decided to let 2 different varieties of radish go to seed. I am just doing 1 plant of each. Right now I have a Salad Rose radish that is pretty huge. The root is about 6-7 inches diameter and sticks about 3-4 inches out of the soil. I have no idea how many more inches it is below the soil. But this variety grows like a carrot; cylindrical about 5-6 inches.

The plant is not very old just a few months. How long does it take for radishes to flower and seed? Are they annuals or biennials? Do they have pests that attack the bulb? I am a little worried with its bulb exposed like that. One day I walked out there and saw a tiny chunk bit off from it. I am thinking a bug or small animal tried to eat it but maybe did not like the taste.

The other variety of radish I will let go to seed is watermelon radish. I just started them so I don't really have a nice plant yet. I also hear radishes are a good companion plant that is why I am keeping them around.

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/938_2126.jpg[/img]

ButterflyGarden

I let me radishes go to seed last year. I don't remember how long it took. They grew little pods and I then picked the stem (which had several little pods) and hung it to dry. This year I opened the pods (they had the look and feel of Styrofoam) and planted the seeds. I was able to get really nice radishes from them, but the ones I tried to let go to seed never produced any seeds.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

First off Punk', aren't you a little concerned that they will cross-pollinate? Or, would that matter?

Mine will take 3 months to produce good seed and that is pushing it a bit. I planted one variety about the 1st of July one year and it didn't mature seed well until after a late September frost, or 2. Luckily, frost won't kill the plants easily.

It is better for me to save plants from early May sowings. I have to drive a stake beside them because they will grow to 3 feet plus and flop over if not tied.

Be sure to try tasting the seed pods very early on - while they are still tender. I like the pods better than the roots for snacking :) . They are wonderful! But, they will quickly toughen. Varieties just for pod production may have better holding qualities but I can always find a handful off of any plant. Any radish plant, I suspect, will grow quite large and the many pods will mature at different times on the same plant.

What I'm thinking is that you can grow 1 variety 1 year and a 2nd variety the next to avoid crossing. The seed is viable for several years. Harvesting is really quite easy with radishes.

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well the other radish variety is at the other end of the garden. And none of them have even sprouted yet. So I have a good head start with the Salad Rose. I was thinking radishes were biennials for some reason. But good to hear they only take about 3 months. Is the root any good to eat during or after flowering? I know basil will taste bitter so I am assuming the root will have a different taste too.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I would imagine so.

The plant beginning to bolt is a good indication that the root is changing and no longer of much quality.

Waiting until the plant actually flowers would likely mean that nothing much other than those seed pods (& maybe the flowers) would be worth eating.

Steve

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Dry hot weather will make them go to seed quicker. Some radish are 28 day while winter varties can be as much as 60 days! I plant the radish mix with maybe 6 varities and let alot got to seed! I like the many radish flowers in the yard for butterflies! I also have a pink and some white radish flowers depending on the radish! One radish will make a100 or more seeds from the pods! Try the watermellon radish!
+++
Radish grow almost anywhere and are good for compost. The tops are good for feed or rabits! This spring I will use a area of radish for a cover crop and dig them under by may! You can by radish seeds by the pound very cheaply from Shrumway less than $5 a pound!!! The pods are great in salads, You can also use radish that go to seed as a shade for plants like lettuce by planting the radish on the sunny side of a row of lettuce!
++++
That is strange that I just mentioned a radish as a cover crop and right below my post there was this link!
+++
https://www.tillageradish.com/cover-crop-solution.php?gclid=CJmb5MHp2qwCFQ1x5QodszUEpw

nickolas

I am letting about 12 radish's, 12 turnips and 3 rocket plants go to seed this year.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I wanna experiment with collecting seeds so I know how to do it. I have like 10 different types of radish seeds; my earliest is 20 days and longest is 60. The watermelon radish take 50/60 days. I also have one packet that is mixed radish seeds. It makes it a little tricky to collect seeds from these if you are after a particular kind. A trick is you can wipe away some dirt by the root/bulb and take a peek at what it looks like. I do this with carrots and beets also to see if they are ready or need more time.

I actually need to pull some radishes now but been lazy. I can see lots of bulbs sticking out that are big. Last month I was too excited and pulled some too early and got smaller bulbs. I also like to let them go beyond their mature day they get bigger and fatter.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What makes radishes crack? I get great radishes except for the cracks.
It's tempting to wash out the cracks and use the radishes anyway.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Punk - I've always allowed my radishes to crown above the soil - they get stronger flavour that way, which I really like. Hot weather will cause a bolt, but other than that just be patient and stake them as suggested upthread (they get top-heavy).

Deborah - radishes crack when they get too much water, too fast. A single cracking good thunderstorm can do it (at least, in my garden). They're fine, though, just like cracked tomatoes - scrub them well and they taste the same as uncracked radishes.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks, Lorax. I hated wasting those nice radishes but I wondered if they'd be germy. They looked fine, just cracked.
I think a good washing, letting water flood out the crack, and it'll be fine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”