PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I put about 2 cups of greens; kale, chard, collards, spinach etc. Then I put about 2 cups of water. I blend all that up. Then I toss in a banana or 2, then an apple or pear, an orange, mango etc. You can mix and match whatever you want. Then finally I put about 2 handfuls of berries. I mostly use raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.

I also add a squirt of flax oil and sometimes I add sweetener like stevia. Or sometimes I may add a few dates. The smoothie will look green, or brown, or reddish depending on what fruits you use. But the taste is sweet and fruity and you don't usually taste any greens. And the whole thing is extremely healthy for you. You usually get your daily fruit and veggie requirements just in this smoothie. And the good thing about it being a smoothie is your body digests/absorbs is much easier than eating it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, I asked because I frequently have a banana smoothie for breakfast - banana, berries, soy milk, protein powder- but I never thought about putting greens in it. I will try it. Your recipe sounds like enough smoothie for a week. I do one banana, one handful of berries, one cup of soy milk and the protein powder and that's plenty for breakfast.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”