TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I have squirrels in spades, but they don't seem to bother my tomatoes. I put some bird netting around them to keep the peafowl away, and it would have no effect whatsoever against squirrels, but they seem to grow up and ripen just fine.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Lowe's or home depot, (one carries it the other doesn't) carries a product called critter ridder. It has worked great for me for keeping squirrels and cats out of the garden. Just sprinkle around the perimeter of your garden. I do it once, heavily, and that does it for the year for me. Its a blend of spicy peppers and garlic that burns their paws the same way something spicy things burn your mouth. I personally don't find it cruel, and usually they smell it and avoid it well before they get it on their paws anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I tried a bunch of repellents, including dried blood and coyote urine, and the squirrels just mocked, taunted, and ridiculed me.

Trevor
Cool Member

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Trevor wrote:Also watch out for chipmunks! I caught them eating the tomatoes several times this summer.
ALVIN!
:lol: :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Since we have 6 cats no problems with tree rats!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

This all sounds really good, BG !

bg
Cool Member

DeborahL wrote:This all sounds really good, BG !
Thanks. I finally got a little time to take some pictures of how it is right now for you.

Here's the a pic of my garden with the mesh around my fencing, since the fencing wasn't small enough, and finished:
[img]https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/AoNoYuurei/garden/garden.png[/img]

Here's how my tomatoes look when they grow through the mesh out of the top. Unfortunately, last night was quite cold and damaged a few of my plants, including the tops of the tomato plant. This is a cherry tomato type.
[img]https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/AoNoYuurei/garden/tomato-growth.png[/img]

Here you can see my Bhut Jolokia plant growing out of the back of my garden, through both the fence and mesh:
[img]https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/AoNoYuurei/garden/bhutjolokia-growth.png[/img]

And a close up of the Bhut Jolokia:
[img]https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/AoNoYuurei/garden/bhutjolokia.png[/img]

As you can see, there doesn't seem to be any issues with the growth of the plant through the fencing and mesh. I just got some plastic today, so that I can cover my garden and keep them from dying, I hope.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

my chipmunks and ground squirrels eat a lot of lead around my place... : :twisted: :D

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hey Francis, Sherry in Merritt Island. it may be fruit rats, they are super common in Florida and love veggies - I had two go arounds with them taking a bite her and there and finally caught them real early pre dawn hours and sadly had to kill them, they multiply fast and both times we had parents and babies. they hang out in palms and bird of paradise plants and love my garden, they ate just enough of each fruit/veggie to ruin it. Squirrels have eaten red/green ones at my other house, but that was when the dog was gone for a few days, when dog was around they never touched them. Hope you figure It out. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”