Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My peas are ready to pick.

I don't remember what kind of peas I planted it may have been Alaska Snow Peas but I noticed yesterday they are ready to pick. I planted 6 rows 30 ft long each the last of August. We had 2" of rain today and probably another 2" tomorrow maybe I can pick peas in a couple of days. It is slow picking and slow getting them out of the pods but its not slow eating they will be gone fast. Peas take up a lot of garden space for what I get. I will probably have a 5 gallon bucket of peas in the pods then maybe 1 quart jar of peas to eat. I should probably plant a variety that can be used in chinese stir fly so I can eat the pods too there would be more to eat and less work.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That's great. The reason peas don't seem to fill up the bucket is that they are so good they end up in your mouth instead. Have fun!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I definitely agree about growing a variety that has a more tender pod. I don't think it's worth the space OR time to have to shuck all those peas. They are one of those garden items that really make me appreciate the fact that a bag of frozen peas is only a couple bucks!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

gary, have you tried the pods on these? if they're actually snow peas you probably don't need to shell them.

Trevor
Cool Member

I agree with what's been said. When we grow any type of peas, usually snow, we eat them in the pod. So, you shouldn't need to shuck them unless you don't like the flavor (my mom doesn't like the flavor of the pods)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you really want to have shelled peas from your garden plant Victory Freezer or Lincoln. Both good freezer varieties. Most pods come ready at once. For shelled peas to eat in the garden its hard to beat Wando or Little Marvel. On these two the harvest is spread out more.

Personally, I do not like the edible pod varieties as well as shelling peas.

I have tried many varieties of peas and those mentioned are my favorites.

Trevor
Cool Member

jal_ut wrote:If you really want to have shelled peas from your garden plant Victory Freezer or Lincoln. Both good freezer varieties. Most pods come ready at once. For shelled peas to eat in the garden its hard to beat Wando or Little Marvel. On these two the harvest is spread out more.

Personally, I do not like the edible pod varieties as well as shelling peas.

I have tried many varieties of peas and those mentioned are my favorites.
I've found that many people do not like the edible pod varieties. I'm alone in my household on this one :?
I will be doing peas next fall though! Along with spinach, radishes and some other good stuff.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Trevor wrote: I've found that many people do not like the edible pod varieties. I'm alone in my household on this one :?
More for you!

So, Gary, what's the verdictt?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”