RuHappy69

Ghost Peppers are inside now - question

They have been inside for almost a month getting as much sun (southerly facing) as possible in the afternoons. I keep them watered, etc. but the peppers are decidedly smaller (like 1/3rd size) and I'm not sure why. Otherwise the plants seem healthy enough (leaves appear smaller also)... What gives? A few of them are ripening but again, they are tiny...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think it is a matter of getting enough sunlight. The sun is way south right now plus the glass reflects some and so the plants don't get the light they do in the summer while outside.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, not enough light! Even if they get 5 hours of sun in front of your south window (that would probably be MAX this time of year), it is all from one direction, so really is half as much light as they would be getting outdoors. Less than half, given jal's point about glass not transmitting all the light.

If you want them to fruit in the winter, you will need supplemental lighting. I have one (bell) pepper plant I brought in for the winter. It is in a corner with windows on two sides and has some extra (artificial) light. Even so, I'm not expecting it to fruit, just hoping to keep it alive until spring. I left 3 little peppers on it when I brought it in. They are s l o w l y growing, but showing no signs of ripening.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”