lynette

carrots

Can anyone advise me on how to grow carrots I cant seem to grow them

lynette

Thank you thats very helpful I will use your advise and see if I have any luck this time:-)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What Mg said! But do remember carrots are cool weather crops, that don't germinate well once the weather warms up. I plant mine at the same time as lettuce and spinach "as soon as the soil can be worked." Even the short, stubby kind (which is what I grow also, because of my heavy clay soil), like the ground well loosened up for them, at least 6 inches deep. And don't bury the seed, just sprinkle it on your loosened up seed bed, pat it lightly to be sure it is in contact with the soil, and dust it with a very light layer of potting soil. Sprinkle the seed with a little water daily until they have sprouted -- if they dry out, they die.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I like to mix the lettuce and carrots together and plant them together in a bed not a row!. When my lettuce is done I have carros mixed all through that will mature well after the lettuce especially the leaf tpe lettuce like simson or salad bowl! Plant extra seeds and rake in the seeds some willnot make it but more seeds will allow you to thin if you have too!. Carrots have a hard time growing if the soil surface crust from drying out and the lettuce sprouts much quicker and helps the carrots break the soil surface!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Also carrots don't come up as well in compacted soil, so some people plant radishes with them. Radishes come up fast and break up the soil for the carrots. They also make where the carrots were planted as it takes them a while to germinate. Another trick if you don't want to use radishes is to ruff up the soil before planting. Put the seed on the top of the soil and lightly cover with perlite or vermicule. That will keep the rains from compacting the soil to the point that the carrots don't come up.
If all of the above advise doesn't do it then if you really want to grow carrots you may have to make a raised bed that is 10 or more inches tall and fill with very loose soil mix without any rocks. Then you can grow longer carrots as well. There are also round little carrots that will grow on top of the soil like a beet, you might try those, they are the easiest carrots to grow.

soil
Greener Thumb

stop trying. I used to try and grow carrots, and they sucked. then one day I had one go to seed, I left it. I tossed the seeds all over the place. another day months later I was clearing weeds out of a path and pulled up a HUGE carrot. I went searching for more and found them all over. funny thing is I get my biggest, healthiest carrots from my paths which are extremely compacted from walking, yet that is what everyone says is horrible for carrots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”