GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I grew "Early Haikucho" (sp?) that I got from Park Seeds last year. I have absolutely no complaints about how the plants did. Bugs never bothered em a bit, neither did any diseases or fungi. And I'd say I got about 97% germination. They would definitely have been good to stagger if you were looking to continually harvest fresh. I'd say they took about half of the growing season to go from seed to harvest, (about 90 days).

Tilde
Green Thumb

Thanks, GardenRN - I ordred mine from somewhere else (where ARE they in my seed basket?) but I'm waiting for an email for this wkd specials from park seed to order more with my holiday gift planner thing (I'm making with seeds from there for friends and young home gardeners).

applestar
Mod

Tilde, there were some older threads/posts from Alex_h* -- can't quite recalll full nick -- from South Carolina that I think discussed growing them in spring and in fall. Edamame sets pods best in cool nights (60's) according to kitazawaseeds.com in California.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Good to know. I hadn't fully researched them yet, just threw them in my online basket as "oh, cool" - figured it was a fall/spring crop; I'd get one in "now" or in a month or so, then next fall.

I'm technically two and a half months into my good growing season, just been approaching an edible garden piecemeal and slowly as available resources permit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tilde wrote:Thanks, GardenRN - I ordred mine from somewhere else (where ARE they in my seed basket?) but I'm waiting for an email for this wkd specials from park seed to order more with my holiday gift planner thing (I'm making with seeds from there for friends and young home gardeners).
Say more about this? I'm always looking for ideas for homemade holiday gifts, especially with from the garden stuff! thanks!

Tilde
Green Thumb

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40793

Summary: trying to build a simple calendar and seed kit I can mail out for the winter holidays.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I mean two growing seasons, not two harvest times from the same plant.
No, I understood what you meant . . . altho' both 2 harvests from same plant & 2 growing seasons in the same year are quite foreign concepts to me :wink: .

Jeff, your "Early Hakucho" is listed in that article, linked in the 1st post. Says, "65-75 days. Prolific, heat tolerant, 12-14 inches tall." Wow, that's a little short plant! There are others of that height, however.

I have grown one called "Bei." Actually, there were about 5 or 6 varieties the 1st year and I tried the best couple of choices last year; then narrowed it down to 1. But, haven't tried any on the National Garden list. "Beer Friend" has special appeal . . . and, I can attest to the good idea even tho' I haven't grown that variety.

Steve

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

well it definitely was heat tolerant. I didn't realize it was a cool weather crop when I planted it. oops :oops:

I harvested in the heat of summer.

The plants were no more than 12" tall, but each was loaded with about 20 o 30 pods. I first thought it was going to be a bust. No idea each plant got that many pods!

A lot of soy is grown in Va. I don't know how it compares nationally or worldwide percentages, but you do see a lot of it while driving around. And most of the plants I see are short ones. Idk if that's because it is more economical somehow for farming, or if its some kind of relation to the growing season here and the maturation period of a more compact plant. Either way, other than the previously discussed issues I had, I was very satisfied with the performance.

Tilde
Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:
No, I understood what you meant . . . altho' both 2 harvests from same plant & 2 growing seasons in the same year are quite foreign concepts to me :wink: .
Well you can hand my leg back anytime then. Lol

Good to know I can give these a try in summer too!N

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”