Avonnow
Green Thumb

Kohlrabi

Alright I planted some of these from seed after getting them at a organic farmers market, they looked cool and were very good raw. Now the ones I bought were at least 4-5 inches if not more in diameter , the Rodale book I have says to pick when they are no more then two inches in diameter. Huh, am I missing something, even at the stores they are bigger, two inches seems small, any thoughts. :roll:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

As long as they are not grainy inside they are great. I pick mine at about 4 to 5 in dia.. Try making cole slaw with them its much better than cabbage! My purple ones did not do as well and got big much later. Try the hybrid types they produce oe uniform! There is also a monster one that gets a foot in dia. and is still good!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow, the kohlrabi stem goes from round to somewhat elongated when they begin to run past their prime.

At least, that has been my experience.

Anytime after they have a nice, round shape they should be crunchy and sweet and they will continue to grow & hold their quality for awhile.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, I don't know about larger ones, but like to pick them when about 3 inches in diameter. Always crisp and tender at that size.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Here are the giant kohlrabi which I will grow this year since I like cole slaw made with kohlrabi!
+++

https://www.reimerseeds.com/superschmelz-kohlrabi.aspx

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks, I hope I have luck, they look great as a plant right now very healthy, and I am hoping the cooler temps in Florida will do them well. I have never had them before and they were great raw, I like that, not that I can't cook anything, but I was impressed as they look odd. So we will see. I may pull them at different sizes to see what is best. Those big ones do look like a big cabbage head. Thanks for picks, I like Reimer seeds - got alot of cowpea seeds from them last year, they have a nice
unique selection.

stylemichelle21

It is quite an odd looking thing, but I definitely prefer kohlrabi to cabbage in my coleslaw. A friend of mine makes a slaw with kohlrabi, apples, mint and Greek yogurt...it's amazing!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^^^ grew some of those superschmeltz...seeded last august or so in an unheated greenhouse room, left them there way too long since I had too much else I was trying to do - cut them this september - the biggest one got up to about 4" in diameter and about a foot and a half tall. the bottom half was too far gone, but that still left a couple pounds of decent veg. the variety never really gets woody, but will turn kinda spongy if left too long.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My purple took longer but were better tasting and sweater! I will plant them next every week for the first month. I do like the hybrids better they are more uniform!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”