mcubb

How to keep CFL bulb from getting so hot?

I have a CFL over a plant in my room. Its on from about 9am to 12pm everyday. After about 20minutes its wayy too hot to touch. its in a metal "hood" thing (the conical shop light fixture) like this:

[img]https://www.gardenscure.com/420/attachments/lighting/142533d1126480155-shop-light-flouro-question-clamp.jpg[/img]

The hood does have a few holes for ventilation but apparently thats not enough. and by hot I mean the glass part is too hot to touch and the ballast would melt your hand. does anyone have suggestions to fix this? or a different type of hood that it can go in? because right now the bulbs are buring out after about a month due to the heat

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just a suggestion, but how about directing a small fan toward it? Fans are useful for helping plants develop stronger stems, too. :)

mcubb

I was thinking about using a fan. But I'd actually have to go out and get one and thats somewhat of a pain since I'm in college. but I may do it as a last resort

applestar
Mod

I wonder what is causing this problem in your set up?

I use these utility lights all the time... And some of my fixtures don't ave on/off switch. I have most of them on timers but a couple are literally :wink: "turned" on and off by unscrewing the bulb. It is hot to the touch but not as hot as incandescents and I can hold the lit bulb by pulling my long T-shirt sleeve over my hand.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what size you are using but I would get a splitter or screw a extension on the bulb with a chain. The splitter would let you use two smaller watt bulbs maybe 1/2 the watt. The extension would place the bulbs 4 inches further from the metal! You may even want to try one blue or red bulb with the white bulb for a better light distrabution!.

mcubb

bobberman, I'm likin the sound of your idea but am still very confused. can u reword or explain more deeply? its a great help, thanks. maybe theres a pic somewhere online?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They sell extenders that srew into a socket. You can buy them for about $2 anywhere. Most have plugs below where the bulb screws in. Some have a pull chain so you can turn it off and on with the chai. They are about 4 inches long in brown or white! They also ell a screw in light bulb holder that allows you to put two bulbs in line a v. Look in the bulb and electrical section.
+++
Here is what I mean . This is a single with no plug or chain! You can buy these in a v or y shape to hold two bulbs. Hope this helps!
+++

https://www.elightbulbs.com/leviton-02006-med-med-bakelite-sckt-extend-base-modifier

mcubb

aha! perfect! thanks for the info. I'll have to grab one or two the next time I'm out.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I actually have the same one but I use a bulb that says Flood and the way the bulb is shapped it doesn't give heat towards the metal part only to the plants and it stays warm(metal) I got the bulbs at lowes on special they give lots of light some heat 90watts and they on special right now

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They make those in compact fluorescent, energy saving versions too, and the flood light shape should help with your problem.

https://www.buylighting.com/Compact-Fluorescent-Flood-Lights-s/114.htm

in the meantime there are alternatives and more coming all the time:

LED bulbs are still very expensive, but beginning to come down as they start getting more popular. Sometimes you can find them on sale for prices more comparable to CFL's. The available versions have not been as bright as regular bulbs, but 60 watt equivalent LED's are now coming out. The LED is solid state, does not generate heat and lasts about 8 times as long as a CFL. And they are directional, so all the light goes in the direction it is aimed. They are suitable for recessed lighting, so also for your utility light. And they have no mercury in them, so they are not hazardous waste like CFLs. CFL's use 25% of the energy that incandescents do; LED's use 10%. https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/will-led-light-bulbs-best-cfls-and-incandescents

and in dec or jan, lowes is going to start selling a new type of bulb called esl (electron stimulated luminescence in case you care).

It actually works like a computer monitor or TV tube. Instead of causing a gas to glow, an electron gun causes a phosphor coated screen to glow. They are not quite as energy efficient as CFL, more like 30% of the energy of incandescents. But they are mercury free, directional, designed for recessed lighting. They are rated for about the same life span as CFL's but because designed for recessed lighting, they should actually achieve that life span even in your utility fixture. They will be more expensive than CFL's, but half the price of LED's
https://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10354160-1.html

So hang on... newer technologies are about to solve your problem! :)

mcubb

oooo I really like the idea of using the flood lights as well. I'd just need some way to mount it. I currently have that hood thing with a clip clipped onto my desk. any ideas on how to mount a flood light bulb?

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Its the same as a bulb I have the sama clip thing

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

What is wrong with the long 4 foot floresent lights. They also come with grow ights! There are two or even 3 bulbs in the ficture! I thought that was always the standard in grow lights!

mcubb

ya I have a four footer under my bed. thats growing tomatoes and melons - all very short plants.

I need the one flood light for an avocado tree which is gettin taller.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”