gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Rattlesnake Beans??

For the first time I'm growing some Rattlesnake beans and picked my first batch this morning and I notice that they are producing a relatively flat pod with very little actual bean size in the pod. My question is, is this how they normally grow? I also noticed that the beans not exposed to as much direct sunlight don't seem to develop the coloring as pronounced as the beans that get a lot of sunlight.

I've grown Kentucky Wonder pole beans many times and they make a nice size bean in the pod. Also, my bush beans are making tons of beans right now with full pods, but I know not all beans are going to grow or produce the same.

Any info appreciated on this variety from those that have grown them.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Not sure I have some pictures handy, but the beans I grew on my arbor this summer were rattlesnake. They filled out very good, and had good size beans. As a matter of fact, I tore down the arbor this past weekend and had a half basket of new beans that I did not even know were on the vines. I will check them tonight.

Also, I have collected several dried beans for seed.

P.S. Some of the beans just stayed green and did not reach the "rattlesnake" look

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't understand why they are not filling out more than they are. My Yard Longs and Bush beans are filling out nicely and they are growing directly next to the Yard Longs on a shared trellis. Maybe it is just a tad too cool for them this time of year as we've been getting in the mid to upper 60's at night while they were coming in. It is now getting into the mid 50's at night and not over 70 during the day.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm not complaining since my northern brethren are having frosty weather knocking down their doors.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Rattlesnake beans are usually grown to be used as green beans on the dinner plate, not as shell beans. Most people who grow them don't want them to get too beany. What you discribe is normal behavior for them. If you blanch them just until the dye is gone, they are just right to freeze. On the other hand if you were to can them for some reason in about 3 months they would begin to unseal, or get a white cloudy look at the bottom of the jar. It is the dye that comes off. They are great for just plain old cooking. Note, the color only develops in direct sunlight the same would be true if you planted violetta (purple pole beans). The ones that get the most sun are the most purple.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

CharlieBear wrote:Rattlesnake beans are usually grown to be used as green beans on the dinner plate, not as shell beans. Most people who grow them don't want them to get too beany. What you discribe is normal behavior for them. If you blanch them just until the dye is gone, they are just right to freeze. On the other hand if you were to can them for some reason in about 3 months they would begin to unseal, or get a white cloudy look at the bottom of the jar. It is the dye that comes off. They are great for just plain old cooking. Note, the color only develops in direct sunlight the same would be true if you planted violetta (purple pole beans). The ones that get the most sun are the most purple.
Thanks Charlie for the clarification. What I don't eat outright, I'll likely just blanch and freeze for later use per your suggestion. By your description, they would probably not be a good candidate for pickling. Not to worry since I have a lot of bush snap beans coming in right now.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hello Gumbo, long time - and no posts, I am so busy here with kids and other stuff, but still gardening. On those Rattlesnake Beans, I have never had a problem with them not filling out. I grew a ton last year as they did so well in Florida heat. I was alittle confused as I blanched and froze some, I canned some and I made dilly beans with some and everything was great, I still have two bags of frozen left and numerous jars. I didn't get the cloudy stuff the other member spoke of. So not sure if I did something different or wrong and one day I will peer into the cabinet and they will all look funky, but so far so good. :lol: I am getting my fall garden up and going - I think I am at the last of the Okra and not sure on Eggplant. but I love the fall gardening, I get to do alot more chard and lettuce varieites and I love that. I hope my tomatos do well they all are tall and healthy and just getting tomatoes, so not sure what will happen and I have alot of those Rattlesnake Beans coming in. They look great. I was worried as we had two horrible periods of rain 10 inches in one weekend and then another round of rain like ten days later, thats all you need to kill off a bunch of stuff, but I think the season is over for rain and the tropical stuff will be gone till next summer. Hope all is well. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Hello Sherry, I am having fun with the Rattlesnake Beans, bush and yard longs. I'm up to my ears in beans right now. Just this morning I picked 2 1/2 gallons worth of Rattlesnake Beans and that was only on 16 ft. of trellis. The pods are not filling out like I hoped but they are still great to eat.

I'm blanching and freezing most of the Rattlesnakes, pickling the bush beans and grilling the Yard Longs for a nice treat with our dinners. My broccoli are making nice heads and I picked two more today with several more slowly developing, so it's a waiting game for the side shoots to appear for a longer harvest.

I did have to replant lettuce 3 times before it finally decided to pop out the ground, so they are way behind the other leafy greens I planted. I have lots of chard, kale, arugula, spinach, mesculin mix and collards.

I know what you mean about the tropical storm season and the relief that none really hit either of us. I'm gun shy since Katrina and the mess it made of our lives. However, you could have sent some of that rain our way since I'm still watering, but not as much as I did this past summer.

I know you're loving gardening this time of year as much as I am. I was tired of the heat by late July.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”