gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Lots of transplanting tomorrow and garden update

Well, it's that time again, time to thin out the plants that have come up these past 3 weeks to give them proper space to grow and fill out the few empty slots in my fall garden. Kale, Swiss Chard, Brite Lights Chard, several leaf lettuces, beets and arugula all need to be thinned and transplanted.

My broccoli is now heading with several plants showing their main heads but they are at least a couple weeks away from picking. Collard greens are being harvested for the third time tomorrow. Bush beans and yard longs are prolific and making more than I can eat at this moment. The tomato plants are just making small fruit so I hope the first freeze is still a month and a half away so I can get some ripe ones this year. I still have Salsa Verde left over from last years green crop picked due to freeze damage.

I decided to trim my rosemary back since it was huge and making more than I, or the whole neighborhood could use. Some of the main stems are over an inch thick on that thing.

Onions, shallots and green onions are popping up and shooting skyward. I waited too long for garlic this year and am having a tough time finding seed garlic. All the nurseries around here don't have any more and won't be getting more in this season----bummer.

Fewer weeds, not as much need for watering, cooler temps, and far fewer pests this time of year make gardening fun for this dirt rat.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Re: Lots of transplanting tomorrow and garden update

gumbo2176 wrote:Fewer weeds, not as much need for watering, cooler temps, and far fewer pests this time of year make gardening fun for this dirt rat.
AGREE. I am cleaning out what I can of my garden today. Hauling off eight foot okra stalks, weeds, old egg plant stalks, weeds, prince's feather stalks, and also some weeds. I have some beautiful pepper plants still putting on blooms. I actually tried to transplant a couple of them so I could better clear out half of the garden. The big arbor is coming down.

At this point I have some beautiful second crop tomatoes about to ripen, lots of pepper, and eggplant. Did not plant the typical collard greens and purple tops. I do have a 1/4 acre of purple tops in one of my food plots at the farm land. They are looking great and, strangely, the deer have not devoured them yet. There are lots of acorns this year, though.

Keep up the good work in cool temps.
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What are prince's feathers and purple tops?
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

DeborahL wrote:What are prince's feathers and purple tops?
Prince's Feather is a flower that I planted several years ago in my garden and it comes back up every year. I just leave a few plants wherever they come up.

Purple top turnips
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Gumbo, hang onto those large rosemary stems. Stripped of the leaves and sharpened on one end, they make great shish kabob skewers. We use them with chicken or pork, potatoes and squash. If they are freshly cut, no need to soak them. I keep a bundle in the barn and when we want to grill, I soak them for an hour or two in a bucket of water before skewering the meats or vegetables.
Delicious!
Jane, that's a great idea. I love to do Kabobs on the grill and that will be instant flavor. Thanks for the heads up since I probably have about 20 ft. of usable stems gathered from that plant.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Oh ! Thanks, Lakngulf.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

need garlic Gumbo send me a pm we can work something out. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Aw, you southern gardeners break me up talking about planting and growing in October and we are getting frozen every night now. :(
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Aw, you southern gardeners break me up talking about planting and growing in October and we are getting frozen every night now. :(
Yeah, but I've got to garden year round to even come close to what you produce on your huge plot in just a few months. Truth is, this is my favorite time of year to garden down here even though it's a crap shoot with my tomatoes in case we get a couple nights of below freezing weather.

I can't imagine every night below freezing for months at a time.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

For sure we garden in two different worlds. When I get home from my trip, I will rake the leaves and put them on the garden, then till, then forget it until April. My daughter has been picking the strawberries and raspberries while I have been gone. My son picked some apples and plums, and also a batch of green beans. The garden keeps on giving even in my absense.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We are enjoying some beets greens, lettuce, spinach, arugula and kale that I transplanted in early September. We haven't had a frost here - yet - and even if we do, I am going to cover them so I can keep this stuff going through November or later. We also have a bit of broccoli still going as well as cauliflower, brussel sprouts, leeks and a few peppers and eggplants that haven't given up just yet.

I brought in cuttings of the herbs that I want to keep going over the winter (lemon thyme, greek oregano & rosemary) and have them under grow lights along with some cilantro. Soon, I will start some basil and parsley so we'll have all the herbs we enjoy over the winter (except for terragon). Parsley, sage, thyme, oregano, and cutting celery are still very healthy as are the larger rosemary plants that I took cuttings from for next year.

I need to get the garlic in this weekend or next.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

By cutting celery, do you mean Parcel? At least I think it's called Parcel.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Par-cel is a curled leaf variety of cutting celery. I use what is called just "cutting celery" and is available through many seed catalogs.

Mine grew quite tall and the bigger it got, the better it tasted - just like regular celery.

Johnny's Selected Seed carries both varieties.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks !

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”