Liam23
Newly Registered

Cauliflower Problem

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my cauliflower plants...help please!!!!

[img][img]https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x254/grumgukenhoff/IMG_1218.jpg[/img][/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not for sure, but it looks like sunscald. Were those plants started from seed where they are or were they transplanted? Transplants may just not have been used to as much sun as they are getting now. If they are watered when the sun is on them drops of water can act as little magnifying glasses intensifying the sun on that spot.

If I am right, then the new leaves coming will probably be fine, as they are adapted to the sun.

If the new leaves have it too, then I am probably wrong and you should keep looking for more information!

Another possibility along the same lines would be if you have watered/ sprayed with anything that could burn the leaves - foliar fertilizer spray, pesticides, etc.

Richard L.

On my vegetables I try not to get the leaves wet especially during any Sunshine, I always water "around" the leaves and underneath them.

Liam23
Newly Registered

I bought them a few weeks ago so your most likely right..they probably didn't get much sun..also I'm growing them in a polytunnel which can get very hot...other leaves seem to be ok.
Will it affecte their development later or will they grow on without problem.
Thanks so much for your response..thought it might be a deficiency in the soil.
:)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If it is sunscald, it won't affect them later, they will be fine, unless there continues to be lots of hot sun. Cauliflower is a cold weather crop. It doesn't really like heat or too much hot sun. The polytunnel may not be benefiting them (except for other things like pest control). They are even pretty frost tolerant. So even when you start getting frosts, they would still probably be better off with out it, than being hot inside it. Do you leave the ends open?

Liam23
Newly Registered

I leave the ends open but with the weather here in the Emerald Isle now turning cold and wintry we probably won't get much more sun so hopefully they'll flourish from now on.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”