Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Tomato transplants now 4 ft. tall.......

........and no tomatoes yet. They get plenty of blossoms and then drop them. I know it's not heat related because lower to mid 80's should be fine right?

Could it be bad soil? Watering issues?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmm, what has your humidity been like? Also, mid-80's could be too hot. How often have you been watering? What type of plant are you growing.

Oh, and do you give them any fertilizer? Too much nitrogen can give you big plants with no fruit.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm thinking it could be too much nitrogen... how much are you fertilizing?

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The soil is a mix of 30% miracle garden soil, 30% top soil and 30% peat moss. The rest is native soil/sand.

That mix has worked fine for me past 3 years. I water moderately everyday if it doesn't rain hard the previous day. Since I've planted them about a month and a half ago, the weather has been dry one week and then wet for a few days. Repeat that pattern for a few weeks, and then last weekend was a huge washout for us on the east coast of Florida.....and now it's going to get real dry for 4 days.

I'm fearing this time around is too much nitrogen. Anything I can do about that? Looks like my tomato plants are doing what my neighbors tomato plants did..........check my sig.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”