i2ambler

14 inch jalapeno flowering

I have a couple of jalapeno plants that are growing really well in pots. They are being fertilized with coffee grounds, fish emulsion, and tomato tone every couple of weeks, and sprayed with the occasional epson salt solution. They have shot up to about 14 inches high, and are beginning to bud/flower. One plant has upwards of 20 buds all over it, the other not quite as many.

Should I prune these buds? I pruned them at around 8 inches a couple of weeks ago - and in these two weeks, they have grown super fast. These things are supposed to get a good 2 feet or more, from what I understand.

on another note - I have a yellow pepper plant that is not going as well. Its in a bigger pot, getting the same feed, and the leaves are not responding as well.. they are curling up like boats, and is very very slow to grow.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I don't know about the leaf curling issue. It might be overwatering or it might be root pests like nematodes, but as for the pruning of flowers, don't. I only pinch off blossoms during the first two weeks after transplanting. That will let the roots get a healthy start because the plant won't be concentrating its resources on pepper production at that tricky stage of its development.

After two weeks, let the plant produce at will. Even if it looks like the plant is too small to bear much weight, it will grow with the pepper. By the time the little peppers are big peppers, the plants will be big plants and more than capable of supporting the weight.

i2ambler

stella1751 wrote:I don't know about the leaf curling issue. It might be overwatering or it might be root pests like nematodes, but as for the pruning of flowers, don't. I only pinch off blossoms during the first two weeks after transplanting. That will let the roots get a healthy start because the plant won't be concentrating its resources on pepper production at that tricky stage of its development.

After two weeks, let the plant produce at will. Even if it looks like the plant is too small to bear much weight, it will grow with the pepper. By the time the little peppers are big peppers, the plants will be big plants and more than capable of supporting the weight.
Starting to get alot of jalapenos! (I'm counting about 10 babies on each plant) Darn jalapeno plant new leaves are starting to curl a little now. These are all in pots, not sure what could be causing it. Nutrition? I only water once every 3 days or so, tomato tone every two weeks.. I sprayed with epson salt water a couple weeks ago, and it hasnt helped at all. Not sure what to do - and am hoping these pepper plants don't peter out because of the curling issue. :(

Tilde
Green Thumb

Mine are curling too :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'd slow down with the Epsom salts. How many times have you done that? I don't use it at all but the people who do use it as a foliar spray say to do it ONCE in a season, with ONE TEASPOON of Epsom salt in at least a pint of water.

It is a salt. You could be just desiccating the leaves with the salt solution.

Too much fertilizer can cause the leaf curl. You are doing too much. Tomato tone every two weeks is too much.

I'd stop all the additives and flush the soil well with plain water and then leave them alone for awhile.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I will second what rainbowgardener said.

i2ambler

Ok.. I was just going by the tomato tone directions. in my next water I will water like crazy and flush the soil out, then do nothing for a while other than water. Epson salts - I have used twice with a tablespoon in gallon of water - so its a very very mild solution. The leaves were yellowing early on after transplanting - and the epson salts got them green quickly.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”