Aorourke
Cool Member

What to do with these strawberries

I grew strawberries this summer in hanging baskets and my husband moved them out of the sun, which in turn killed them. He said he watered them every day. Anyway they are all dead now and I don't know what to do with them for winterizing them. Are they a lost cause? Also I'd like to put them in the ground next year as they didn't produce very well in the hanging basket anyway. I don't think they had enough soil for a good root system.
The basket is really a hanging tunnel, the kind you get in walmart and can place 15 plants in the side.
Thank :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Got any pics? It really all depends on how damaged they are and if they are still alive.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

" Anyway they are all dead now"

If they are dead, they are dead and all you can do is pitch them and start over next year.

If they are dormant or sickly, but not dead, then you would be better off to plant them in the ground now. They will over-winter better in the ground than in hanging baskets.

Moving them out of the sun wouldn't likely kill them, unless it was in to full shade. Watering them every day, unless it was very hot and dry, might.

Aorourke
Cool Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure they are dead! I had one left over and it's in a pot and it's still green, but the ones in baskets are all brown and very dry, as in crispy dry.
Yes they were put in full shade and it was hot and dry!

Oh well won't be doing that again! Lesson number 100 learned from this year! :roll: it's all part of the learning process! :D

garudamon11

If you still have their berries you could try taking the seeds off them and plant them, it worked for me

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”