bweber
Newly Registered

how my garden grew

This was our first year at a garden. I got to eat a few things out of it. We had an army of tomato worms eat most of the peppers, then a few tomatoes. Squash bugs got to 2 of the zucchini plants. Powery mildew got the cucumbers. I am not sure what happened to the potatoes, the red ones were half eaten/rotted and the white potatoes were a really odd shape, looked like a potato with one end kinda popped out with cracks. The red cherry tomatoes turn out to be orange but were better than any red I ever had. The best part of the garden was the green beans and I even got in a second planting... just when they were getting ready to pick a herd of 8 deer came through one night and broke down the fence and ate everything that was left. We are very happy we did this and managed to eat a few things out of it but not the abundance we were hoping for. Hope for a better year next year. Any ideas on how to keep out the deer, we used the netting this year about 6' tall, it kept them out most of the summer

nk

This site may be of assistance:

https://www.deer-departed.com/deer-repellent-tips.html

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I can't help with the deer, but I had rats and more rats - they even ate hot pepppers. :shock: They would take just enough of a bite to make it unedible for me. Beans were my best first year crop as well. Worms got tomatoes & peppers, aphids were horrible on cucumbers. Squash Vine Borer on all my zucc's and squash - to this day I can't grow these - none. Tons of other things just didn't work - I picked some of the worst things for my area in Florida. I finally realized to grow what did well here, and then try one or two new things each time, I don't stress as much. Second year I did lots of beans, okra and eggplant - the second two grow in spades here. I had tons of beans and was able to actually feel productive by freezing and canning them. This year I have done great with peppers of all types and tomatoes were better but not great. :)

It was very discouraging my first year and after all my work I nearly gave up. But keep up with the forum, tons of great advice from people who have been doing it for years. I get better each time I plant something and I learn alittle more each season. I can't see not doing it. Best of luck, hope someone has advice on the deer issue. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have used a radio in the corn patch to keep racoons and skunks out of the garden. I wonder if that would work for deer? Would it be possible to put a motion light in the garden area? You might rig up a motion light to turn on a radio and a light. A sudden light and sound would surely put the deer in flight. Might work for other critters too. Electric fences have also been used.

I have no sympathy for rats. DCon!

bweber
Newly Registered

I live in the middle of a city. The deer would walk up to me when I was working in the garden. They know how far the dog can reach in the yard and stand just outside of her area. I am not giving up, we just have to find a new containment system, just not sure what it will be.
I have learned alot, some things didnt work and others I will plant more of. I planted some garlic for next year and am hoping the squirrls wont dig them up. Can't wait till spring.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”