Boomslang
Cool Member

Too many Cheyennes

I have two Cheyenne pepper plants that are loaded with peppers. My wife canned some but I was wanting to dry them out and use them as a spicy seasoning in foods. Could I cut both of these plants down and hang them in my shed to let them dry out or would they just kinda rot?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

You are most likely to get the best results if you let the peppers mature on the plants and then dry them in a dehydrater or in the sun if the humidity is down. Hanging the whole plants upside down, is probably going to be a waste of space and time.

Boomslang
Cool Member

Thank you guys. I will try that. :)

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Let me know how it goes, I have tons of hot peppers, I dehaydrated some and chopped them in a coffee been grinder (not the one I use for coffee) and make my own hot spicy mix for chilis and soups and rubs. I also smoked a variety last time we smoked a pork butt in the smoker and then dried them and made a chipotle type powder - I love that - only problem it takes so many peppers to make a small spice jar full of powder or spice. I also found some great receipes for sauces at allreceipe that use lots of hot peppers and mangos and they have been super popular with my family on various fishes and meats. You have to get inventive - Everytime I looked at all the hot peppers I grew I was amazed I did that well and thought - now what to do. Let us know what you do - always looking for new ideas and best of luck. :D

Boomslang
Cool Member

Most of them are still green. I have a few that turned red so I went ahead and picked them. I spread them out on a table outside in full sun and have been turning them every so often. A couple are already dry. Worked well. :)
I had an idea that I was wanting to try. I was thinking of taking clothes pins and hanging them by the stem off of a clothes hanger. Then hanging the clothes hanger with a piece of string out in the sun. I was thinking that they could slowly spin with the breeze and dry out without having to turn them. Think it would work this way?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”