erinduke

Pepper plants wilting

Hi, I was wondering if pepper plants are supposed to be wilting away at this time of season. I'm in Florida, my banana pepper, green pepper and jalapeno pepper plants have started wilting, the jalapeno lost all leaves, the banana pepper is on its way there and the green pepper just looks miserable.

Are they going dormant for Fall or dying? [/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

should not be going dormant for fall in Florida. If you were here maybe yes. It looks like you still have temps in the 80's which is perfect for them. You are far enough south that your days probably aren't even as short as mine.

Peppers in the right climate are perennial and don't go dormant. So I would say there is something wrong. Over or under watering can both cause wilting as can a lot of other problems.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The majority of my peppers plants are turning yellow and wilting as well.

erinduke

I think the storms may have done it then, they're definitely dead. I'll probably just pull them up and start over next year.
rainbowgardener wrote:should not be going dormant for fall in Florida. If you were here maybe yes. It looks like you still have temps in the 80's which is perfect for them. You are far enough south that your days probably aren't even as short as mine.

Peppers in the right climate are perennial and don't go dormant. So I would say there is something wrong. Over or under watering can both cause wilting as can a lot of other problems.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Maybe so. I have peppers still going strong, showing no sign of dormancy, here where we are having a lot of night time temps in the 40's, so I don't think the fall is what is doing yours in.

Tilde
Green Thumb

I think they're drowning -

I'm all pots and containers. I pulled two baby trees that escaped the neighbors yard and plopped them in pots - one with drain holes, one without. The one w/o drain holes is drowning something fierce in all this rain. I need to repot it quickly into something that drains before I lose it.

Any way you can pot them or dig a channel or build a bit of a way to get the water to drain away from them?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I've got mine in a 20 gallon pot, and we're getting down into 40's at night- the pepper has slowed but still seems to be managing along alright. I'm sorry you're having trouble with yours. how much sun are they getting? any fertizilier lately? strange weather?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I agree with Tilde. It sounds like too much water.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”