Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Zukes and cukes very few per plant this year!

For some reason my vine crops did not set much fruit per plant especially later in the summer. Has anyone else had this problem?

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

SVB's wiped out my zucs this year.......again. Before the SVB's hit I the plant itself grew massive with lots of male flowers, and only a few females.

I'm pretty much done trying to grow zucs.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Two years ago I grew zukes and had some wood chips mixed in the soil around them. The wood chips caused the zukes to die with in a few weeks! None of the 6 plants survived so I now watch to many wood chips! The wood chips seem to also bring bugs!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman,

How's the health of the plants? Green, yellow, puny? Did you grow them in the same wood chip bed? Wood chips on the surface is ok, but mixed in is a bad idea. You may have been able to compensate by adding a high nitrogen fertilizer.

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

No I did not use the wood chips the last two years! I do use urea sometimes or blood meal!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I had one monster zucchini in a container that went nuts until it got hit by hail; the plants in my garden didn't do very well at all, though, and I pulled them before they even gave me one.

I planted another for a fall crop and it's just now starting to flower. Guess I'll see what happens!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”