Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Really?! More tomato hornworms?

I did my daily garden check this morning and noticed 3 young tomato hornworms on my new tomato transplants. Isn't it a little late in the year for these pests to still be a concern? I found a few armyworms as well.

I haven't seen these pests in about a month and a half. I thought I was done with them. For the record, lately it's been very humid and rainy with above average temps (what a shock).

RyNJ
Cool Member

I didn't have a problem with those this year, but I did find one the other day. I squished, and much to my dismay, found to be full of little wasp eggs . :( When it didn't move at all I should have been tipped off. Maybe you'll be lucky and the wasps will have gotten to them.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I've yet to see a hornworm with wasp eggs on it. And there are tons of wasps around the garden. :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The brachnoid (sp) wasp that infect the hormworm are very samll. They are not your normal "wasp" that every one refers to.

Also just to be the stickler I am I bet it is a Tobacco hornworm not a tomato hormworm.

The tobacco has 7 diagonal lines and red tail the tomato has 8 v shaped marks and a dark I want to say brown tail. The tobacco is the more pretty one if there is such a thing. :lol:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I found one like 2 days ago on one of my pepper plants. So they are still around.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”