jeff 58
Newly Registered

raised beds

hi, ive just constructed to raised bed boxes 3m x 1m x 0.5 would it be ok to place a terram fleece on the bottom of the beds and then fill the beds with compost/soil ? I have never done any gardening before but I am really keen to try and grow my own veg.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Different brand of English! :) Terram fleece is like a weed barrier? I wouldn't. Depending on what you want to plant and how deep your raised beds are, you want the plant roots to be able to go down into the soil. If you are concerned about weeds/ turf coming into the bed, lay down a bunch of layers of newspaper or 1-2 layers of cardboard. Wet it down thoroughly and then put the compost / soil mix on top. It will suppress the weeds, but then break down and get out of the way.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Looks like it: [url=https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DIY+Matters+Launches+Terram+Root+Guard+-+to+Deal+with+Nuisance+Roots.-a0241660656]Terram[/url].

Slight digression but related - you folks have often championed lining the bottom of the beds with cardboard and paper, but I always got infiltration, regardless.

Should the layer extend slightly beyond the edge of the borders? Or do I just have crazy mutant evil Florida grass?

Back on topic: 3m x 1m - are you planting it all at once? Sounds like a nice long bed. :) I'm envious.

Tilde
Green Thumb

yeah, I can get the mutant grass to thrive in the beds, but not the watershed of a side yard. Makes sense.

conclusion: feed side yard more.

/digression

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”